bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Mold in Soil

Okay, I've asked this same question before in the "what doesn't fit elsewhere" forum, but due to the fact no one replied, plus its more of a container gardening question, I'm going to ask it here. I've noticed that in soil mixtures where I use a bark mulch (specificaly orchid bark), a white mold forms on some of the bark pecies. I use this soil mixture for cycads, which are fungi-prone. So my question is, is this fungi harmless or harmful, and if it is bad, how do I get rid of it?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I didn't respond earlier, because I don't know what cycads want or need.

I also don't know about "bad" or "good" w/regard to the white mold in wood-based mulch/chips.

It is quite normal, however. I put down chip mulch earlier this year (March/April) in my roses, and today, when I pruned them, I raked up all fallen leaves and all mulch. I'm going to treat with sulfur for rust, black spot ... all the fun rose diseases mine seem to attract so well.

I wanted the soil to be bare so there wouldn't be any hidden nooks and crannies for the spores to hide.

There was a ton of white mold in and around the mulch chips. I was very pleased that I didn't even get a headache (migraine) from pulling up the few weeds that had grown up through the mulch.

I used a rake, of course, to get it all off the ground.

I know this doesn't answer the "bad" vs. "good" aspect, but this is my experience. I also see white molds, among others, in my compost whenever I turn it. It doesn't worry me.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I suppose if it is normal than there is nothing to worry about. I thought it might be a sign of fungal contamination, but if its natural (and possibly benificial) I'm sure it will do no harm. Thanks for the help.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Remember my disclaimer: "...I don't know what cycads want or need."

Good luck with your plant!

Cynthia

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't know anything about cycads, either, but mold growing on the soil of a potted plant would make me think the soil might be too damp.

FredDuggan

I agree with Kisal. I would try and let the soil dry out a few times so the mold does not have a chance to spread. It may be natural but I wouldn't want it taking over the soil

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaiboy,

Actually mycorrhizae are beneficial and bonsai are even deliberately inoculated although often it arises spontaneously. Mycorrhizae form a symbiotic relationship with plant roots. Now I can't say with any certainty what species of fungi you have in your pots but if your plants are healthy otherwise I don't think I would worry about it. Here are a few places to begin your research.

https://www.tandjenterprises.com/MR-colin_lewis_bonsai.htm
https://www.bonsaikc.com/bonsai_soil.htm

On the second one scroll down and click on the thumbnail to see an excellent example of a potted plant colonized by mycorrhizae

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Thanks everyone for your help!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”