Raja
Newly Registered

Schefflera

I have a couple of Schefflera plants that have grown to fulfill their nickname of umbrella plant. One I gave to my in-laws in an Easter arrangement sometime in the 1980’s and the other I rescued from being tossed in the dumpster at work . Both of these things are over five feet tall with all the foliage at the top and continuing to sprout and grow upward. Is it possible to encourage growth further down the stalk? I have seen some plants in arrangements that were sprouting from a cut stalk but hesitate to decapitate these old friends. Also, can the upper portion of the cut stalk, with all the foliage, be encouraged to root?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I don't know if you can root the cuttings, as usualy cutting over 12 inches long don't root well. However,if they have leafs on them, you may be able to section them into 5 or 6 pieces, and root those. You can basicaly cut down a schefflera as far as you need to, and it will sprout back.

thebean

the cuttings will in fact root with some hormone. I just hacked mine in half 4 1/2 feet tall pre cut. I tossed the middle section and rooted the newest growth ( top section )

Raja
Newly Registered

Thanks boncaiboy and thebean for your replys. My gardening skills are strictly as basic as basic gets. I just have a knack. My office space is jokingly referred to as the clinic. I take in sick plants and they thrive with no more than water, tea leaves, coffee grounds and a bit of attention. Consequently have not tinkered with hormone supplements, can you provide the brand name you used. Did you use any special soil? I've become rather attached to these things and want to give them every opportunity to survive.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Raja,
Consequently have not tinkered with hormone supplements, can you provide the brand name you used.
The specific brand is not that important. Go to any garden center or even one of the 'Box Stores' and ask for rooting hormone.

You may also want to look into air layering. In short, this is a method of inducing new roots on larger stems. You could, for instance, layer off the top and then regenerate the bottom, yielding two fair sized plants from one. Or you could simply cut it back as suggested and then root cuttings, one large one or several smaller ones if the plant is branched. I have never tried to root a large cutting but I have rooted a pencil sized one.

https://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/ScheffleraBonsai.html

Norm

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”