Tdebruycker
Newly Registered

hoya lauterbachii

I recently brought home a hoya lauterbachii, and have since noticed some changes. along the main stem it has several bumps in between 2 leaf nodes. I first assumed this was just new nodes, but there are several of them close together, about 17 in a 4" section, along on side.. with several on the opposite side as well. Can anyone tell me what this might be? I kno these are slow growers, but I am anxious to see something as I have had it roughly 2 months, and it is already almost 18-20" long :?:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I can't be certain without seeing a photo of your plant, but my guess is that they might be scale insects. If they are, you should be able to gently scrape them off with a fingernail. After that, I would spray all surfaces of the plant with Safer's soap.

You will need to respray the plant every 7 to 10 days to kill any pre-adult scale insects. 3 treatments should be sufficient.

I have no experience with neem oil, which might be another alternative to use as a spray. I'm not sure whether it works on scale insects. I have read advice online that says to wash the entire plant down with alcohol. I would not recommend that, myself. I have used a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to touch mealy bugs and kill them, but I think it would be much too harsh to spray a plant with alcohol. JMO.

Tdebruycker
Newly Registered

Thank you, but its not bugs. I scraped my fingernail down the side, and the plant oozed, as if I were cutting it, which I know it does if trimmed. These bumps are actually coming from the plant itself, not attached. Thank you again for your thoughts tho.

blu_topaz
Newly Registered

I'm thinking those little bumbs are the start of ariel roots, which are quite common on all Hoya's. Several of my Hoya's have these bumbs that over time become longer. Good luck with your Lauterbachii,wish I had one for my collection.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”