dezertryno

Birds of Paradise in Pots/Containers?

I have several giant birds of paradise that I would like to transplant into pots (15-20g size). Will they stay size, or grow to be monsters over time? I am redoing my back patio this summer, and working on the foliage plan currently. Thanks!

thebean

By transplant do you mean remove from the ground and put into pots or just increase size of pots ?? Either way the moving of the BOP will probably stall flowering if thats a concern. Further growth may depend on the age of the plant. Since you say they are giant I assume they a mature plants and probably not get much larger.
I hope all of my probablys help
[/b]

dezertryno

When I say Giant, I refer to the "giant" species, with white flowering heads. They have "elephant ear" leaves, compared to a standard Bird of Paradise. They are in 15g pots now, I have never seen the giant species in a pot, I know they grow quite large over 15-20 years.

thebean

sorry for the long delay in posts. My knowledge of the giant BOP is very limited though it shouldnt vary much from the smaller versions. I would expect then from what you said about them getting very large that they will but by being put into even larger containers I would suspect they will grow at a bit of a slower rate. Flowering will definately be post poned just by the transplant if this is any concern.

good luck

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”