becx07
Newly Registered

Dusty Miller Winter Care

I have 2 potted dusty miller plants that have been living on my balcony, should I bring them in over the winter? I'm in Massachusets, so there's really nothing mild about our winters. My apartment is on the sunny side of the building for the early half of the day. I have a large sliding door with an 18" "slate" area along the front of it in the living room, and a roughly 5' wide window with a large sill in the bedroom. I'd love some advice on the best place to keep these plants for the winter.

pd

Hi, I'm assuming you mean the silver Senecio cineraria. Here in much of the UK they are half hardy and usually grown annually from seed. Very popular in summer bedding schemes.
To overwinter I would put them in a light and cool or cold place that is frost free and give very little water. Give them a winter rest and in March help them into new growth by moving to a warmer/light place, pot on if necessary and apply a liquid feed such as Miraclegrow (Phostrogen here in the UK) weekly. Alternatively buy new plants when they come into the supermarkets or garden centres when bedding plants are on sale.

bali

Mine are still outside in the snow.
Wonder if they will survive ?
zone 5 winters ??????

:oops:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”