tubbykat
Newly Registered

Catnip sprouts wilting after 1 week - HELP!

I planted catnip seeds in containers for my 2 feline babies, and was really excited when they started sprouting.

I don't over water them (I use a spray bottle), and they get only 2 to 3 hours of sun a day, but they started to wilt 1 by 1 a week after sprouting. sometimes the wilting starts at the top (leaves) sometimes it starts at the roots (bottom half turns brown).

I'm using garden soil, and lately, I've mixed in some used coffee grounds.

what am I doing wrong? please help! :cry:

applestar
Mod

In my experience, a spray bottle isn't a good watering device. When you water, you want to pour enough water to at least cover the surface of the soil in the pot by about (hmm -- eyeballing it here -- 1/2 inch for a small pot to 1 inch for a large pot). Ideally, keep a saucer under the pot and pour water in, wait and see if water comes out of the bottom, allow to sit for a couple of hours to see if the water is absorbed back by the soil, then empty the saucer. Catnip DOES like it on the dry side, as you seem to know.

I usually check if a pot needs to be watered by the "lifting" method -- heft the pot -- water if light, water a lot if too light, don't water if heavy. You'll get the "feel" for it after a while.

You see how, using a spray bottle, you'll be spraying that plant for a long time to achieve the amount needed. Spray bottle is good for raising humidity around humidity-loving plants. In fact, most hairy/fuzzy plants (like catnip) don't like getting their foliage wet very often. It's also good for soapy mixture (use liquid soap, NOT detergent) to spray insect pests like aphids, white flies, scales, fungus gnats, etc. (You'll want to rinse with plain water afterward so your kitty doesn't get soapy catnip!)

Now, when you say you used garden soil -- what kind of soil was it? Most of the time, unless you have a relatively sandy soil, garden soil is too dense/heavy for container plants. If you pour your water in the pot and the water just sits there on the top and doesn't soak in in the next couple of minutes, this soil is way too heavy for catnip (or any container plant for that matter unless it's a REALLY moisture loving plant). When your plant is NOT wilted, slip the soil ball out of the pot, gently pull the soil away from the roots, then mix the soil with about same amount of sand (or perlite or vermiculite). Mixing coffee grounds is fine -- probably not much more than 2 tablespoons per cup of total soil volume, or just spread a layer on the surface and gently scratch in with a fork. Catnip doesn't need nutrient-rich soil though, and I tend to think catnip would prefer soil that is not lower pH. (For flowering plants that like acid soil or tropicals, I might add more -- as much as maybe 1/4 of soil volume) Re-pot your plant, being careful to put enough soil in the bottom and gently spreding out the roots so that the plant is at the same depth of soil as before (or a little deeper is OK - catnip will form more roots from the stem). Make sure to leave about 1 inch between top of soil to the top of the pot for watering.

Catnip likes a LOT of sun. So keep your plant in the sunniest window sill you have with no window coverings. If you don't have a sunny window, you may need to supplement with artificial light. OH! I just noticed you're from Philippines! OK maybe it doesn't need THAT much sun there, so ignore the "no window coverings" advice. You may do better with somewhat filtered light. Best way to judge -- if if the plant is stretching out for light and the stems are skinny and weak-looking, and there are long stems between leaves, it needs more light. Work on your watering first and see if that corrects the wilting problem.

Hmm. Maybe I should add that sand should be rinsed well with plain water first so it doesn't contain too much salt. :shock:

Hope that helps! :wink:

applestar
Mod

OK. Obviously not enough caffeine this morning -- I missed that you're talking about just sprouted seedlings! :oops:

(1) It's still possible you're not giving sufficient water each time -- seedling roots can reach down 2 inches or more, even tiny seeds like catnip.
(2) Since you used unsterilized garden soil, the seedlings maybe experiencing a fungal infection called "damping off". TRY dusting the soil around the stems with ground cinnamon powder (try not to get the powder on the leaves since that would block sunlight -- if you do, you could brush them off with soft bristled brush like watercolor brush or makeup brush)
(3) Check for fungus gnats - little black flies - on surface of soil or flying around the area. Their larvae/maggots in the soil chews on tender rootlets.
:wink:

tubbykat
Newly Registered

hey applestar, thanks for the tips!

kindly find my replies below:
(1) It's still possible you're not giving sufficient water each time -- seedling roots can reach down 2 inches or more, even tiny seeds like catnip. -- how would I know if I'm over watering or under watering? I've noticed 2 types of wilting, starting from the roots (stem turns brown, so it must be something eating up the roots) or the lstem + leaves starts to bend over (is this over watering?)

(2) Since you used unsterilized garden soil, the seedlings maybe experiencing a fungal infection called "damping off". TRY dusting the soil around the stems with ground cinnamon powder (try not to get the powder on the leaves since that would block sunlight -- if you do, you could brush them off with soft bristled brush like watercolor brush or makeup brush) -- alright, cinnamon powder it is. will buy this from the grocery this weekend.

(3) Check for fungus gnats - little black flies - on surface of soil or flying around the area. Their larvae/maggots in the soil chews on tender rootlets. -- didn't notice any black flies, but will be more conscious for my next batch coz my 10 sprouts DIED on me already. :cry:

applestar
Mod

Sorry to hear your first seedlings didn't make it. :(
But I'm glad you're not giving up! :D

I'm trying to envision seedlings drying out -- first off, if part of the stem turns brown at the soil level, it's damping off. If the roots are dying, then it follows that no water is reaching the leaves, so the leaves will wilt.

You might try experimenting by planting in a clear plastic container -- I had my kids plant seeds in clear plastic cups that their drinks came in (just poked some holes in the bottom for drainage) -- it had a clear domed lid with a hole for a straw so it was perfect for seed starting! You can watch the water percolate through the soil. Note too that as the soil dries, the soil mass pulls away from the plastic wall, leaving a gap all around the edge so that when you water, all the water just drains down the gap without soaking into the interior. When you leave the water in the saucer for a while, the parched soil will wick the water back up. Sometimes, you might think you watered enough, but actually, the pot can take some more. :wink:

tubbykat
Newly Registered

thanks for the helpful tips! :D

this batch is actually my 4th already. the 1st one wilted, the 2nd one got attacked by birds, and 3rd one wilted again. (perseverance is the key!)

I got myself a McDonald's soda float so I could use the clear plastic container which comes with a dome cover. the cover just has the hole for the straw, and I punched in some holes at the bottom part of the cup for drainage. here's to hoping it works!

I've noticed though that there was water that settled on the catnip buds (condensation?) and that some whitish fungus have been appearing in spots on the topsoil. is this normal? or does it mean that the sprouts are not getting enough air circulation which would eventually lead to rot? thanks thanks! :D

tubbykat
Newly Registered

thanks for the helpful tips! :D

this batch is actually my 4th already. the 1st one wilted, the 2nd one got attacked by birds, and 3rd one wilted again. (perseverance is the key!)

I got myself a McDonald's soda float so I could use the clear plastic container which comes with a dome cover. the cover just has the hole for the straw, and I punched in some holes at the bottom part of the cup for drainage. here's to hoping it works!

I've noticed though that there was water that settled on the catnip buds (condensation?) and that some whitish fungus have been appearing in spots on the topsoil. is this normal? or does it mean that the sprouts are not getting enough air circulation which would eventually lead to rot? thanks thanks! :D

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Sorry I jumped in here kind of late. Catnip is an herb from the lavender family and prefers rather dry growing conditions. It is susceptible to mildews and blight. I would take that top off--it sounds like the sprouts have "damping off", meaning they're rotting, basically. Good drainage and moist-not wet-soil is critical. If you're reusing the soil I wouldn't, it sounds like there might be a fungus or virus in the soil. You can sterilise it by putting in on an old cookie sheet, at a 1" depth, in the oven at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes to 1/2 hour, that should do it. What exposure (direction) does your window face? Are there any trees outside that would filter the sunlight, or is there a large overhang of some sort?

Just out of curiosity, what island? I had a couple of friends that lived there, and more that have family still there. I think those kitties have a pretty nice owner, too!

tubbykat
Newly Registered

I actually have 5 catnip sprouts with small true leaves already using the plastic cup with dome technique.

I've left the plastic cup out in the sun, but it only gets morning sun anyhow so it didn't kill off the new sprouts. here's to hoping they live to maturity!

I live in the the capital (Metro Manila) :)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Last I checked, Metro Manila was a big place, but that was years ago--I bet it's sprawled even further! My friends lived on Cebu (Cebu City) and then transferred to M.M., so they had to learn two different languages (dialects?) in the 20-odd years they were there. They have since retired back to the States. That's about all I remember them telling me. (Mind like a steel sieve, I have...) I'm wondering if it's the Styrofoam that's causing the trouble? Maybe try a different material like an old clay pot or ceramic cup w/a hole drilled for drainage; or even a wooden cup w/drainage hole? (And a good drip tray underneath). Just thoughts.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”