The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There was an exhibit at the Rhode Island Flower Show last year about handicapped accessible gardening and containers and raised beds were the norm; LOTS of color too!

I remember a garden where the beds actually flared out near the top so a wheel chair could get under and the bed was accessible so you could reach the middle from a chair on either side. Nice 8)

Scott

wingwalker
Newly Registered

I planted some aspaagus plants last year. I let them come up and do what ever they wanted to then let the stems die off. Then I cut them back to the ground.
Question is what do I do with them this year. I have some that are already shooting up to a couple feet.
How, when, where, etc do I harvest them?

2nd topic: Sweet potatoes. Never messed with them either but want to grow some. Of course know nothing about them either. :cry:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Let them do the same thing that you did last year. Did you plant seeds or roots? If you planted seeds, you'll have to do what you did last year for another three years before harvesting. If you planted the roots, you'll have to wait until next year to start your harvest.

At the end of the growing season when the asparagus are "ferny" trim them down to the stub and perhaps work some compost around them.

wingwalker
Newly Registered

opabinia51 wrote:Let them do the same thing that you did last year. Did you plant seeds or roots? If you planted seeds, you'll have to do what you did last year for another three years before harvesting. If you planted the roots, you'll have to wait until next year to start your harvest.

At the end of the growing season when the asparagus are "ferny" trim them down to the stub and perhaps work some compost around them.
I thought I had posted this reply, but I don't see it..........so
I planted roots, was hoping for a second year harvest......guess I can wait. :cry:
Also planted some strawberries. They are showing a lot of bloom so far. Anything I should be watching out for here?

Want to grow some sweet potatoes, when I find a supplier. Anything special about growing them?

The big boxes are working out good so far. Only problem is filling them.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Wing,

I actually haven't tried growing sweet potatoes before (at least, I have with little success) so, I probably wouldn't be the best to give advice on that topic. :wink: Have fun with your asparagus and strawberries. I just bought ten plants yesterday and I have another dozen alpine strawberries growing away that I planted from seed.

Lots of fun!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”