SeaOnion
Newly Registered

In for the winter and propagation?

I am soooo not sure where to post about my different plants. I only have four (technically), and since they are all in containers, I suppose they would go here! Or am I wrong and there's a better part of the forum to talk about my little green things?

Plants in question: Sea Onion (climbing), Desert Rose (no idea what kind), Trumpet Vine (uhm... I guess... typical standard one? I'm new!), Graptopetalum Pentandrum (propragating new ones right now)

There's a lot I want to ask, but just these few things will suffice for now.

My big issues are... in or out for the winter and am I propagating my GraptoPenta right?

I know that I have to bring most everything in for the winter, but do I have to bring my trumpet vine in? I know they live just fine outside here in the MidWest, but mine is only a foot and a half long at it's longest shoot. I'm worried it's too young to live through it. If I do have to bring it in, what do I do? Keep it warm and water it? Stick it in a cool place and stop watering it so it hybernates? It's no problem if I can bring it in, but out would be nice so the dog doesn't take to watering it himself.

Also, my GraptoPenta. It broke in half. :( Wah! So I plucked took all the leaves that fell off and am propagating it. I was told to let the leaves sit out for a few days to callus over then set them on top of some dirt (some said to bury them) and keep them moist until there's new growth, then plant it. I buried half and kept half on top of the soil, as I wasn't sure how this plant would do. Is that the correct way to do it? Worse comes to worse the stalk has a little bud coming off the side that is growing quite well, but little babies would be nice.

Oh, and before someone mentions hormones and other things, I have dogs and a cat that like to lick almost everything. If there's a chance it could harm them from clutzy Mommy spilling it, it's a no go.

Jalopy19
Cool Member

What's a GraptoPenta?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If the trumpet vine is the common ones, red or yellow that grow wild in most temperate, then it should do perfectly fine outside in the winter. They grow naturally in zone 8 and as cold as zone six I believe. However, roots of plants get much colder in a container than they would in the ground. I've lost yellow lantana most years that it stays outside in a pot, but it most often overwinters very well in the ground.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”