applestar
Mod

Can you overwinter scarlet runner beans and moonflowers?

Has anyone tried over wintering Scarlet Runner Beans (perennial to Zone 10) and Moonflower Vines (perennial in Zones 8~9)? I realize they're not that hard to grow from seed, but I'm in a mood to experiment. So I was thinking of digging them up -- significant loss of root system, of course, then chopping them down to 3 or 4 side shoots/buds, and potting them up. I suppose the Moonflower might still need some dormant period in a cold location -- I'm thinking leave it out until frost starts to nip, then dark garage until just before heavy freeze (around December), then bring it inside by the sunniest window I have -- but, at Zone 10, would the SRB need anything more than a house plant level rest? I.e. a period of less water and fertilizer?

applestar
Mod

Replying to my own post here :wink:
I finally found a reference:

https://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/vine/Phaseolus_coccineus.html
Hardiness: Sunset zones: All. USDA zones: 1-11 (perennial in zone 10)
Because the vine is a tender perennial, it's grown as an annual in the Pacific Northwest. Provide netting or string to train the runner beans up trellises, or arbors, at least 6 feet high. The vine is very showy and used to screen porches or twining up obelisks and other supports. Dig the roots up in fall, store them the same way as dahlias, and replant the following spring.
--
https://flowergardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_dig_and_store_dahlia_tubers
How and When To Dig Up the Dahlia Tubers in the Fall

The digging process is straightforward. Wait until about a week after frost kills and blackens the top growth. Cut the stalk down to six inches. Dig up the tubers using a garden fork or spade. Start digging about a foot away from the stem because the clump of tubers will be much larger than what you planted. Dig around the clump in a circle, then pry it up from the bottom. Try not to damage the tubers. Important: Leave the stem intact with the clump.
How to Clean and Prepare Dahlia Tubers for Winter Storage

Gently brush off excess soil and rinse clean with a garden hose. Do not wash the skin off the tubers. Air dry the clumps upside down in a dry place at room temperature for a day or so. Do not wait so long that they turn hard.

Label the clumps so you know which is which. Use a tie-on label for each clump, or write the name on the tubers with a permanent marker.

Some gardeners treat the cleaned tubers with a fungicide such as powdered garden sulfur to help prevent rot during storage. Read and follow the label directions carefully if you opt to do this extra step.
Ideal Winter Storage Conditions for Dahlias

Tubers should be kept in the dark at a steady, cool temperature so they stay firm without rotting, shriveling or sprouting prematurely. The storage place should be dry and safely above freezing but below 50 degrees. Aim for 40 to 45 degrees. An old fashioned root cellar is perfect. Consider an unheated basement, attic, crawl space, attached garage or even a refrigerator.
How to Package Dahlia Tubers for Storage

Tubers may be packed in a plastic bag with holes punched in it, or in a loosely closed plastic bag, or in a closed cardboard box or paper bag. Surround the tubers with milled sphagnum peat moss, dry shavings, coarse sand, coarse vermiculite, or newspaper to both insulate and separate them. The tubers should not touch each other. They must be kept dark.
Trouble with Stored Dahlia Tubers

Check the tubers periodically during storage. If they begin to shrivel, mist with a little tepid water. If there is condensation, allow to air dry a bit. Remove any rotting tubers. Most problems seem to be related to storing damaged tubers which are prone to rot, and to unsuitable storage temperature. Check the temperature range inside the storage container with a min-max thermometer.

Every dahlia grower has their own favorite technique for storing dahlias. Be prepared to experiment a little and see what works best for you.
Our first frost warning tonight. My -- wireless remote, of course -- front porch thermometer is registering 34.7º already at 10:20PM. Brrr! :shock:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”