toejams33
Newly Registered

new aloe plant

hi everyone
I have a few problems with my new aloe plant. first off,I think its pot bound. some leaves are fat,then thin,then fat again. I don't want to cut it but I will.how do I fix it?? also I have these weird brown spots on it. what the heck is it?? also I have a 3inch pup growing off of the side of my plant. is it really going to harm it,like ive read,orr just leave it alone?? oh ya did I happen to mention I got 3 plants in one,,and I couldnt seperate the root fused togather somehow.

thanks for the help.
toejams.

Spotted
Cool Member

I was just answering another question about aloe plants on another page. Check it out if you want. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50564#50564

As I said there, I'm a newbie as well, but I've done a bit of research on aloes. What I've heard about keeping Pups with the mother plant, is both, remove the pup when it I at least 3 inches tall, and don't remove it. My aloe plant hasn’t ad a pup yet, so I don't know from personal experience. On another discussion on this same site, that I wish I could find, the person was told that the Pup would not harm the mother plant. If you are really concerned at least wait till the pup is 5 inches tall. But from what I've read, Aloe plants don't mind being together that muck and they like to be pot bound.

A far as cutting off one of the leafy stalks, you can cut it, but once damage is on a stalk, it stays. An aloe plant will not grow back that stalk so if you cut if off, that part of the plant will be bare. I've cut damaged leafy stalks off of mine and it hasn’t hurt the plant, but they don't grow back, so I don't do it that often.

The brown spots are concerning, if they are wet. Aloe plant don't like being over watered and will rot turning brown, if they get too much water, without a chance to completely dry out.

If you could be more descript about the brown spots, I could try to help you some more. Without a better description, I don't know what to say.

toejams33
Newly Registered

I don't think the brown spots are from over watering,allthough I don't know,,I just bought the plant. as for the indented leaf (the damaged one) from what I can tell ,its not dead yet.

anymore help you can give me,ill appreciate it.

thanks
toejams

Spotted
Cool Member

With my experience with Aloe plants, as long as the leaves are green without being soggy or drying out, they tend to live. I had a bent stalky leaf that I chopped off to use for my skin over a year ago, and also sort of used it as an experiment to see how long it took to die, and the thing was green for several days, if not weeks, looking like the rest of the healthy still attached to the roots plant.

If the brown spot is where this is indented, it could just be fine. Does it look like part of the leaf’s flesh was removed, where the brown spot is? Aloe plants will turn brown were they have had parts of them cut off but it is a crusty brown. A damaged leaf should still live, but it will always be damaged. I know this because I had to move in the dead of winter about 8 months ago. I put my aloe plant, witch was quite an arm full, in the car and I ruhed between houses as fast as I could. My poor plant still got tow of it's leaves partially frozen on the way and half of another leave accidentally got shut in the door, on my way into the house, These three leafy stalks are still bent, One only half way connected to the rest of the plant, but at this time, 8 months later, they look healthy. They are just bent and you can see where they are damaged.

If the brown spot is something else, it is hard to say. As long as the spot isn’t overly moist, it shouldn’t be something to worry about, but I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't spread. I'll try to do some googling as well.

toejams33
Newly Registered

[quote="toejams33"]hi everyone
I have a few problems with my new aloe plant. first off,I think its pot bound. some leaves are fat,then thin,then fat again. I don't want to cut it but I will.how do I fix it?? also I have these weird brown spots on it. what the heck is it?? also I have a 3inch pup growing off of the side of my plant. is it really going to harm it,like ive read,orr just leave it alone?? oh ya did I happen to mention I got 3 plants in one,,and I couldnt seperate the root fused togather somehow.

thanks for the help.

Spotted
Cool Member

I still don't know what to think about the brown spots. But as I said before, once a leaf takes on a look, it stays that way. I don't think you will be able to fix the leaves that are already fat thin then fat again. That is probably due to them having different nourishment at different times. (I could be wrong on that.) The good news is that you have a pup and you can start with this one, to make this one look right. mean while Since the other plant is obviously producing pups, they will probably continue.

I apologize because I still don't know about the spots and keep checking to see if someone else will answer who would know.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”