BTW - I’ve given up on buying fish/guppie food — after some experimentation, I have found they respond very well to frozen peas and frozen corn, a little nori, and natural yogurt left in the yogurt cup.
- yogurt — let the un-spoonable bits dry on side and bottom, then submerge the cup for them to pick clean. Added benefit — the water clears up after they get the yogurt treat... don’t know why. We tend to like Fage Total with fruit preserves in the side cup. This is perfect for the fancy guppies since the fruits we like are generally high-colored like blueberry, blackberry, mango, etc.
- Peas and corn — I just let thaw then squish between fingers then basically rinse off in their water. To make extra, I use a small pestle to push through a medium mesh strainer, then spread on parchment to dry.
- I’m also giving them those end of bread and cereal bag crumbs.
- also, I have excessive duckweed growths in these reservoirs, so I scoop them up, dry and then crumble.
- also, I had a leftover hard boiled egg nobody wanted to eat, so I pushed that through the strainer - shell and all - and dehydrated
...now I have more than enough ready-to-use dried fish food
... I did have to re-think the nori — Not as often, not in too-big pieces — because two of the big-fantailed males with black or black-patterned tails were attacked and have chunks bitten out of their tails now.