joethehouseplant
Newly Registered

potted houseplant identification

Hello all,

I recently got a nice looking potted plant for my apartment and I'd like to take care of it properly, but to do so I first need to identify what it is! Sorry for such an elementary post, but my thumb isn't exactly a verdant shade of green yet so your help would be most appreciated!

I purchased it at Home Depot for about $19 so it can't be anything too exotic; I assume it's a very common houseplant. It was ever-so-helpfully labelled something like "Beautiful Leaves Houseplant" in the store. :roll: It sits in a 12" diameter pot, with leaves extending up about 10". The leaves are broad and multicolored, varying in color from dark green to light green to red, with a lighter colored veiny look within each leaf. There are also red spikes. I'm not sure what these are, maybe young leaves furled up? Pictures are attached below (the beer bottle is included for scale.)

Please let me know if you have thoughts on what kind of plant this is!

Thanks! :D
IMG_6232.JPG
IMG_6233.JPG
IMG_6235.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

Suggest one of the Arrow Root or Prayer plant family.

imafan26
Mod

I does look like a maranta. It is actually getting too much direct light. I think that is why you have some browning on the edges. A sheer curtain in the window will help filter the light or use artificial lighting. Maranthas usually like to be planted under trees and are in the shade most of the time but with good light. They will grow in darker spots but the leaves will lose their variegation. They have small flowers and many are inconspicuous. They are grown mainly for their leaves.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I'm thinnking Philodendren. Can't think of it's actual name at this time. I have one of these.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”