FgrSk8r013
Newly Registered

Growing Pomegranate trees???

Hi everyone!

I was thinking about growing a pomegranate tree in my backyard but I have no idea where to start. First off, I live in northeast oklahoma. Can you grow them there? I found a website that says they do best in zones 8, 9, and 10 and I'm in zone 6. However, the temperatures almost never get as extreme as that chart says they do. Also, assuming one can grow in my area, when is the best time to plant and what do I need to do to take care of it? How long does it take for the tree to grow fruit? Any advice will help!

Thanks!!!

Jess
Greener Thumb

The only experience I have is with dwarf pomegranate.
This might be a good choice for you considering your zone as I don't think you would get away with growing one out in the open in zone 6.
They do like very warm sheltered conditions to grow and for the fruit to ripen. My zone is approx 8/9 but even here they needed some winter protection. The soil needs to be very open and free draining. We used a soil and sand and grit mix.
The dwarfs grow no more than about 3ft tall and obviously the fruit are smaller but still delicious. If you were to pot grow a dwarf or two you would be able to move them to a sheltered area through winter. :)

FgrSk8r013
Newly Registered

Thanks!

Return to “All Other Fruit”