HappyPlants
Newly Registered

Miracle Fruit or Synsepalum dulcificum

Hi ,

Newbee here. I found this forum on my quest to find some answers regarding Miracle fruit.

It is suppose to make sour and bitter stuff taste sweet and help obese people curbing their sugar intake and diabetics sugar cravings. (My father in law has very severe diabetes)

Someone at work told me about it and I read the article in the NY times, and some other stuff about it being portrayed as some weird "drug" because it threatens the "equal/splenda" sugar industry. I never heard of it before, has anyone ever heard of this? Has anyone actually tried it or is it just a myth.
Can it be obtained as a plant?

Thanks for your time

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Happyplants :D

Can't say as I have ever heard of it before now. Went on a trip around the internet after you posted to see what I could learn.
Interesting stuff. I did find seeds that could be purchased through ebay but no plants.
Quite fancy trying the tablets myself having read about them. How fun would it be to eat a whole lemon and enjoy it without wincing. :D
I wonder if the reported "block" by the sugar industry is true. Makes you wonder as this is not sold in every retail outlet in the world instead of calorie laden sugar!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I haven't tried the Miracle Fruit, but here's a video showing it being tested. (I love the expressions on the face of the guy in the audience! :lol: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMHKlLBk6TM&NR=1

shibby716
Newly Registered

Hi, I'm not sure if your still wondering about Miracle Fruit but... I tried it last summer, and now have a plant. It's great, it does exactly as you say.

Lemons taste lemonade
Red wine vinegar taste like fruit punch
Pomegranate Juice tastes even better
:D

Rob Millar

I know it grows in Guatemala. If you venture down to Lago Atilan- about two hours form Antigua which is about one hour from Gautemala City, I think you can find it around there. And from what I'm told it does do exactly as Shibby716 said.

damethod

You can buy the plant from Pine Island Nursery in Miami, FL. They have a web site where you can purchase it.

Return to “All Other Fruit”