smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Landscaping with fruit

We are going to be doing our landscaping around our house this year and I was thinking it would be cool if we could incorporate some fruit plants that not only look good but also provide some good eats. I live in zone 6a and was wanting some ideas on some different ground covers and small trees (no bigger then 5 or 6 feet) or bushes that have fruit.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'd recommend working with a professional garden landscaper or similar in your local area. This individual will know what varieties of which fruits prosper in St. Louis and their mature sizes.

This professional will also be able to advice as to the possibility/probability of fruit-tree roots becoming invasive and bothering your foundation, sidewalk, driveway, sewer pipes, etc.--something you *certainly* want to avoid!

Also keep in mind the sun exposure of the trees: some trees, esp. when young, are very susceptible to sun scald. OTOH, you may want to help them through that phase so that you have shade to help keep your house cool in the summer.

There was another thread last night on trees. Unfortunately, I don't remember what section it was under. But a search on "trees" and "foundation" will bring up the specific one, since I also raised this question on that thread.

Happy gardening.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9/Sunset Zone 17

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Thanks I'll have to do more searching then. I live about a hour outside of St. Louis so it's been hard to find some one in our area that knows much about the fruit world for home owners. Most of them only know the traditional landscaping.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”