missmindy365
Newly Registered

How do I make my bilberry bush happy again?

I planted a bilberry bush last summer. It seemed to be doing great. It had a few delicious berries. Now it looks kind of droopy & sad. I did use some peat moss when I planted it. Do I need to put more down or is there some other food composte that would perk it up?
Thanks

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Hello and a very warm welcome to THG!

You've got me! I'm not familiar with a bilberry bush. Hopefully somebody else is. Would you please be able to read the tag to share what other identifying names or information is on it or maybe a photo of your bilberry bush?

missmindy365
Newly Registered

Bilberries are sometimes called whortleberries, and are related to the wild blueberries and huckleberries found in North America.
I found that out online but I still didn't find any simple growing tips except I did read that I need to keep the ground moist.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That's a big help. No tag left with a scientific name, eh? Give me a little bit of time to poke around in some books on native plants, ok? Hopefully somebody is familiar with them because I'm certainly not. No worries. Somebody should be able to come up with something for you. It may not happen right away though.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I found it! Common name is Whortleberry. Another common name is Cascade Bilberry. Scientific name is Vaccinium deliciosum!

I've never grown this species before. I have propagated Vaccinum before and have grown other species in this genus so that's sort of a help but not as good as having someone who has actual hands on with the plant.

Looks as if your plant is a Pacific Northwest shade loving native. I looked up images and it resembles the highbush and lowbush blueberries with which I have familiarity. All three are acid lovers so you'll probably want to mulch heavily with pine needles and possibly watch the pH to keep it toward the lower end of the pH. You may have to go online to find out what pH this plant prefers. Probably not too low though but who knows. The highbush and lowbush blueberries like boggie conditions. I've seen them growing naturally in coniferous forests and bogs so my bet is your plant may very well be able to be found in areas like that out where you garden. Try to replicate the conditions where this plant would be found naturally. You've got a plant there that has edible fruits!

Here's a pdf I found for you that you might enjoy-
https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_vade.pdf

I suspect this plant won't take well to having dry feet. Appears to be a lot like some of its cousins that prefer wet feet. If you've got an area on the east side of your home by a rain gutter, you might want to consider trying it in that location so you'd have to water it less if you experienced droughty conditions. If you don't have a nice shady moist spot for this plant, you might want to protect it by planting it under taller acid lovers to provide some protection.

This is the best I can do for you and it's all sort of stabs in the dark from growing its cousins. I hope someone who has actual experience with this plant comes along.

missmindy365
Newly Registered

:D Wow, thank you very much! I have a hydrangea planted in an area that I think it needs to be moved from because it is a little too shaded by the pine tree looming overhead. Perhaps if I swap them out they will both be very happy! Thanks for your time and effort.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Sound like a good plan!

Return to “All Other Fruit”