TheLorax
Greener Thumb

My strawberry pot

This is the strawberry pot I planted. I'm liking it very much.
[url=https://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2344053790103590453HALeAi][img]https://thumb13.webshots.net/t/60/660/0/53/79/2344053790103590453HALeAi_th.jpg[/img][/url]

Sorry, took the photo in the rain so it's not exactly in focus. The upper portion of the pot has two Honeoye plants, the upper row of 4 pockets also has Honeoye. The bottom 4 pockets have All Star in them.

I think strawberries will do better in an area where they can spread out. The pot is fun but don't know that it is all that practical.

I do turn the pot to give all plants a shot at the sun when I remember.

If anyone spots and problems with my plants, please tell me so I can try to fix them. First time with strawberries in a pot.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Looks great!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Yes, I'm happy with the way it looks.

doccat5
Green Thumb

That is purty! You did good!!

applestar
Mod

Looks great! Keeping it next to the rain barrel is a good idea, since it's hard to keep those watered. I'd given up on my jar this year and haven't planted anything, but I'm inspired to plant it now :D I'm trying to root runners off my everbearing strawberries so the little ones don't crowd the mother plants. So I could plant those, or maybe I'll get some annuals. I don't have a place to overwinter the big jar so whatever gets planted has to be sacrificial.... Oh, for a greenhouse! :wink:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much.

I placed it by the rain barrel to try to keep it safe from basketballs and soccer balls and kids in general running around with air soft guns. The inside of this planter was painted with a concrete sealer. I did that in an attempt to avoid it cracking when left out over winter. I'm watering that planter the same as I do the tomato plants so I'm guessing the sealant had the added benefit of helping to retain moisture.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Looking good Lorax and I spy a very juicy looking ripe one just waiting to be eaten!
TheLorax wrote: I placed it by the rain barrel to try to keep it safe from basketballs and soccer balls
I lost all my raspberry canes because they were in the wrong place. Now have a thornless blackberry growing there that is indestructible!
Strawberry planters are fine the first year of planting but get progressively difficult to look after as the plants fill out. The shape of the planting holes makes it impossible to get the roots out after a time and the planters quickly become congested. Better to take the strawberry plants out once they have finished fruiting after a year or two and replace with fresh or propagate from the runners.
I use a hanging basket to grow them now. Works a treat as they are at eye level not slug level!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Eesh, I never thought of them outgrowing the confines of their pot. Glad you mentioned it. Hopefully next year I'll have a raised bed veggie garden with a separate raised bed in which to transplant these babies. If not, I'll try to pry them out and stick them in a planter where they'll have more space.

Return to “All Other Fruit”