JennyC
Green Thumb

Blackberries are ready!

I picked about fours cups this morning. Only a very few are ripe now, at the tops of the canes where they get sun all day, but I got more than enough for cobbler with supper tonight :D

I guess I know what I'll be doing every morning before it gets hot. :clap:
Jenny C

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh you are so lucky! Are's are still green but the strawberries are out as of this past weekend.
Feed the soil, not the plants.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Sound so yummy! Major zone envy here! LOL
doccat5

I'd rather be gardening!

JennyC
Green Thumb

Opa, if it makes you feel better, my wild strawberries are about done for the year -- they get mushy in the heat, and only the dog still likes them!

Doccat, I'm zone 7; are you that much cooler than me?

Part of why I have them is I'm getting the very early berries; I just have access to a field with several acres of berry thicket. So, as long as I'm willing to deal with the scratches (totally worth it), I can get the few ripe berries from each bush and have a good supply at the end. Just have to watch/ make lots of noise for snakes...

Tried a new cobbler recipe, and I'm now hooked. I found it online, then adapted it to be fat-free for my husband's cholesterol. Basically, you make a pastry dough, roll it out, spread berries on it, and roll like a jelly roll. Cut slices and put them in a baking dish, then pour warm sugar syrup over it and bake. Distributes the various components much better than my old method of putting dumplings into a lower berry/sugar layer and adding a crust -- that method usually got me biscuits on top of berry soup.
Jenny C

cheshirekat

Mmm. Blackberries. I want some. Mine aren't ripe yet, but I'm so glad to have two fruiting bushes. Last year, one did all the flowering and fruiting while the other grew tall with a lot of leaves and not a single flower. It made me so confused and sad. :cry:

What makes me very happy is that I've been digging up the suckers from my blackberries and planting them around the edges of my yard. Hope to have at least four fruiting blackberry bushes next year. Yummy! :D

The neighborhood cats don't like my blackberry bushes. Too bad. I got so tired of them hanging out in my yard all the time. I have Washington Hawthorns planted closely for a north hedge although I didn't think the thorns were so scary until this past weekend. When they get to about five feet tall, they hurt.

On the south side, I planted some Washington Hawthorns to replace the half-dead and sparse hedge but they grow slow due to the hedge. I can't cut the hedge completely out because the neighbors have hacked it so much that people delivering mail and flyers trample my garden through the spaces where my Hawthorns are trying to grow. I've replaced several that have been trampled. (They didn't speak English so all my efforts to grow that thick hedge all these years were dashed even though they are on my side of the property line. They hacked them to the ground.) I started transplanting the blackberry suckers over there and a couple are doing very well.

On the west side, I planted rosa rugosa. I've only planted a few so far. But I also have an Adam's Needle yucca in the middle near the south side hedge which will have very sharp pointed leaves when it is bigger. And my two big blackberry bushes and three raspberry bushes are in the middle near the north side hedge. Let all cats beware, there are thorns almost everywhere. I wish I could find a low-growing thorny plant for under my juniper bushes along the house as I see the cats are still going through my yard that way.
"Love all God's creatures, the animals, the plants. Love everything to perceive the divine mystery in all." -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

JennyC
Green Thumb

I don't know about domesticated balckberries, but on the wild ones here, the canes flower and produce berries on last year's growth. The new canes don't have berries and get a lot taller than the old ones.

Good luck with your prickly things. It really stinks about your hedge!
Jenny C

cheshirekat

True. The berries produce on last year's canes. I planted both of the blackberries at the same time. They really grew a lot during one year so last year I expected them both to produce instead of just the one.

It's a mystery to me but at least they are both fruiting this year. While I'm waiting for them to ripen, I get to eat strawberries.
"Love all God's creatures, the animals, the plants. Love everything to perceive the divine mystery in all." -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”