stardust
Newly Registered

planting raspberries??

Hi this is my first time being on a forum.I need advice on my newly planted raspberries.I bought 20 fall bearing & 10 purple bare root plants.I was a little confused as to how deep they grew in the nursery.So I may not have planted them at the correct depth.(perhaps too deep?)I planted them May 21 and have been watering them every day since.So far only 4 of the purple raspberries & 6 of the fall ones have come up.Shouldn't they all have come up by now? I'm wondering if I may have planted them too deep.And if I did should I remove some of the soil?Or maybe just be alittle more patient?Thanks for any help that you can give me!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are definately overwatering your berries. Give them a deep (at least one hour) soak once a week. More if needed but, stick your finger in the soil and if it is damp, you probably don't need to water.

I don't think you can plant them to deep as if you planted any of the canes in the soil, the auxins and giberellins in the soil (rooting horemones) would just cause the canes to sprout roots; better anchoring yoru plants in the soil.

Hold off on the water though. And work some good compost and some composted manure around your plants.

If the fall, prune back this years canes that will be all woody and push the new green canes up into your support fence. Sometimes you won't see the new green canes until the spring.

stardust
Newly Registered

Thank -you for your advice. I've been watering the raspberries with a watering can since I don't have hoses that will reach my raspberries.I
have slowed down on the watering though.Before I planted them I rotatilled peat moss and composed cow manure into the soil.Should I still add composed cow manure around the plants?

I'm hoping you are right about how you don't think you can plant them too deep.I just don't understand why most of them haven't come up.You would think raspberries would be easy to grow.I've had raspberries before but I always got them from neighbors and would dig them up in the spring and transplant them.It was easy to do and no question as to how deep to plant them.And they grew!This time I wanted a different kind of raspberries so I ordered them from a catalog.If you have anymore advice as to why they aren't coming up I'd really appreciate it.And again thank-you for your earlier advice.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well did you have the canes coming out of the soil?

I don't think that you need to add more manure but, a weekly does of liquid fish fertilizer will do them well. And this fall work some mulched leaves (not walnut) into the soil along with some more manure.

Good luck!

stardust
Newly Registered

Yes I did have the canes coming out of the soil.The liquid fish fertilizer sounds like a great idea.I'll have to give that a try.And again thank-you for helping me out!!

Return to “All Other Fruit”