lola_lola21
Newly Registered

Dwarf fig tree not looking good :-(

I purchased it through the internet and have it in a pot outside.

I noticed some spider webs and spiders on it recently and bought some sort of sesame/fish oil type mixture to help with the bugs.

But there are still spiders on it, I think, and some of the leaves toward the bottom have turned brown.

Not only that, but the tree hasn't grown a bit since I got it.

I also have a blueberry bush that I got at the same time, and I don't htink it has grown any either.

Any help or ideas?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi lola :D

I may be completely off target her but how much are you watering them? Most people water too much. Ease off a bit and see if there is any improvement. A rule of thumb...or finger...push your finger in the soil up to the first knuckle. If the soil is wet do not water.

pete28

Jess has a good point. The other t hing maybe that the soil it came in has used up all the nutrients. Lord only knows how long they have been in those pots and the same soil. Perhaps repotting or changing the soil may help if the water thing does not work.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, I somehow missed the fact that the fig is in a pot.

DH and I purchased a fig in a 5-gallon pot a couple of years ago and then a Bad Case of Life intervened. We didn't get the thing into the ground until last fall...

So I watered it in the meantime just to keep it alive.

When we *finally* took that poor thing out of the pot, it was completely rootbound: circular roots and all.

So I root-pruned it. I used my pruning shears to cut off the bottom inch of roots and dirt. Then I used a sheetrock knife (curved blade sharpens to a point and putty knife would also do) and made eight equally spaced cuts down the rootball from the original top of the pot to the new bottom of the rootball.

DH dug a nice big hole for the tree and we backfilled it, adding some compost. Then we watered it in.

This being its first spring/summer in the ground, I'm just happy that it's still here with us to tell the tale. :wink:

But it is trying to produce fruit!

In your case, if the fig is going to be a permanent container plant, root-pruning is probably the way to go on an annual or biennial basis. Give the fig some "encouragement" by means of compost or other slow-release soil amendment. I've also watered the fig every two to three weeks with kelp solution, and it seems to like that.

Hope this helps, at least a bit!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

lola_lola21
Newly Registered

Thank you for the replies so far.

I repotted it imediately when I got it. I have it in a 12" ceramic pot, that has one large drainage hole in the bottom.

I also have been giving it algoflash (which is some sort of fertilizer) at least once a week.

Last night I went to check on them, and flipped some of the leaves over and I saw 2 white looking bugs. It was sort of dark so I am not sure if they were spiders or something else.

I am going to try and pick them off later this afternoon and reapply the oil stuff.

I am just dissapointed that it is dying already. I mean, I just got it.

I will try watering it less and see if that helps.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Spiders are not actually insects but, are rather arachnids and won't pose a threat to your tree, they will infact eat any insects that they catch. So, encourage the spiders. They are your friend.

What type of fertilizer is this algoflash? It sounds organic but, one never knows just from a name.

If the tree does die; next time when you get the tree home place it in a larger pot with potting soil, compost and manure. Water the soil before you add the tree and after.

For watering in general:

only water the tree when it needs it. How do you tell if your tree needs water? Stick a toothpick or chopstick in the soil, if the dirt sticks to the toothpick then the tree does not need to be watered.

DJ51
Newly Registered

I bought a fig tree from the net also and mine is doing quite well.
it is a dwarf patio fig tree, they sent a pot and I planted it in there and within a month it was becoming pot bound so I transplanted it.
I kept it in my sun room until I was sure there was no frost and then put it outside, it is doing so well that it has new shoots coming out of the bottom and also is bearing one lone fig....
My grandfather brought fig trees from Italy and I would love to have a start from one of his trees, my cousins have them and I hope someday to get one.
they date back to 1912 I think!
also watering can be overdone as stated by others, and yes spiders are friends. I had an uncle who said if you have spiders you will not have any other insects or bugs in your home!

Return to “All Other Fruit”