stupid48
Newly Registered

Pruning pomegranate into a tree?

I have a 'wonderful' pomegranate tree/shrub that's been in the ground for about a year. I bought it (15 gallon) with basically three large 'trunks' coming from the grafting point (if that's what it is. It's basically at the point one inch from the ground). Now, at this point I think I want to make it into a tree but I don't think I'm going to be able to do it with three equal trunks. Can I still make it a tree in this configuration? If so, how do I prune it?

Thanks, Chris

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Without knowing where you live or what variety of pomegranate you have, it's impossible to say.

Why?

The Sunset Western Gardening book lists five varieties of non-fruiting, or decorative, Punica granatum, and seven varieties of fruiting P. granatum (and Sunset states that its list is not exhaustive). Pomegranate "plants" are described in stature and style from "compact shrub" to "15-20 ft. tall and broad" trees.

Do you know the variety of pomegranate you have? If you don't know the exact variety, do you know whether it's intended for fruit production or ornamentation? What kind of climate/heat/exposure does the tree experience?

These data will help me (and others) answer your question about pruning the tree/shrub/plant to a given shape.

P.S. You're NOT stupid; you're probably a beginner. Don't beat yourself up! :D Perhaps a moderator can help you change your log-on "handle"?

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

stupid48
Newly Registered

Thanks for the response. It is a "wonderful" variety (Punicia granatum, I think) and from what I read, it can be a tree or a shrub. I would have thought a tree would look nice and be better for production.

I am in Southern Nevada. The tree/shrub basically gets full sun until about 3PM in the summer. It also get alot of radiated heat because it is next to a brick wall...

Thanks for any assistance you could give....

Chris.

P.S. I know I'm not stupid. Its just a nic I use when I sign up for boards. I've used it for 20 years even back in the BBS days...

Return to “All Other Fruit”