ralph
Newly Registered

Cherry tree problem

I have a mature Bing cherry tree. Each year it gets these tiny black dots on the leaves and the leaves curl into themselves. I have also seen a small pale worm. Can someone tell me what it is and what I can do about it?
Thanks
Ralph

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like you have a standard tree which would mean that it is 40 feet high or more.

The solution for the black dots (fungal problem) would be to spray your tree with a diluted milk solution. This will be a bit difficult given the height of your tree but, doable.

Another thing you can do is make your own aerated compost tea and spray your tree with that.

For the worms, plant high nectar containing flowers around your tree like Baby Blue Eyes, hollyhocks, primulas and so on. These will attract insect predators that will eat the larvae. Also, some sunflowers to attract various birds will help as well.

SG6

My cherry gets leaf curl, it is caused by black fly. As they look for the tender shoots the effect is more noticable at the ends of branches and twigs. The leaves will die if left untreated. I spray with an insecticide, for the big trees I use a pressure sprayer. Adjust the nozzel so it gets the height.

Never heard of using diluted milk as a fungicide. Would have thought that it would have caused moulds etc. Sorry to question the statement. My reason for questioning it is that as milk is so much less expensive then a fungicide I would have thought everyone, including commerical growers, would be using it.

Cannot help concerning the worms. Also a new one on me other then could they be a form of catapillar?

Return to “All Other Fruit”