cory83
Newly Registered

strawberries or raspberries

I just found what I thought was a old strawberry patch in my back yard but all the berries are already red and are very small and round. also the flowers on the ones that havent produced yet are yellow and not white. I was wondering if any one had any clue as to what they might be. I wanted to weed them but if its not anything that my three year old will be able to eat I don't really see the point. any help would be great since I'm at a loss to what they are thanks

aqh88
Cool Member

Strawberries are pretty easy to identify. There's nothing that looks like a strawberry that is poisonous. There is only the wild/wood strawberry which has yellow flowers and red berries smaller than the usual strawberries. Still edible but not as much flavor. There are also strawberry varieties grown that have yellow or pink flowers. Taste will easily tell you the difference between wild strawberries and the ones we usually plant. Despite the fact we are barely past our last frostdate and I haven't planted any vegetables in the garden yet my strawberries have already bloomed and are starting to produce fruit.

cory83
Newly Registered

thanks I just didnt want to put a bunch of work in to them and then not even be able to eat them. its a huge patch that we didnt even know was there last year because we kept it mowed and my husband hasnt gotten to mowing the back yard. also I have worked for 2 days on the weeds around them an hardly put a dent in them. well thanks for the advice there are some that look like they are about ready so I guess that we will find out in the next few days how they taste

Return to “All Other Fruit”