wisgardener13

Sparse cherry tree leaves

I have a Montmorency cherry tree that I planted in 2020. Last year it generally did fine and even produced around a dozen cherries. However, it was ravaged by Japanese beetles during the summer. This year, I pinched off any cherries that were starting to form to have it focus more on building itself back up instead of fruiting. However, it seems as though it is struggling. It only has around two dozen leaves. I have been more on top of the beetles this year and the leaves themselves look healthy but are a little smaller than normal. The leaves have remained constant most of the summer but I am concerned. Should I be and if so is there anything else I can do to help make sure it makes it through the coming winter and come back next year stronger?

applestar
Mod

Although my fruiting cherry trees which are planted to the north of the vegetable garden beds are managing to hang on due to supplemental irrigation, my ornamental weeping cherry is not a happy camper this summer. I think it’s the combination of
(1) the dying mature street tree finally getting cut down earlier this year — dying and bare-branches, it was still providing protection from the fierce westering sun and reflected heat from the street for the cherry tree ….
(2) about a week ago, realized that the rain gutter downspout at the nearest corner of the house had clogged up and — WHILE WE WERE IN DROUGHT — the cherry tree missed being supplied by the minuscule rain we had in the past month or so.
(3) this cherry has been needing a good styling cut and branch thinning for several years — it even has a couple of crossing and straight upward growing branches that are likely to be hogging/sapping the trees energy.

Without seeing some pictures, my shot-in-the-dark suggestions are to (1) monitor how well the tree is being watered
(2) make sure the tree is pruned properly and make some summer thinning cuts of new growths if suitable and/or autumnal cuts that would not cause spring rebound growths.
(3) make sure the base of trunk is protected from gnawing animals like voles and rabbits

Return to “All Other Fruit”