habdelkawi
Newly Registered

Bare root fruit trees

[attachment=1]20220622_064044.jpg[/attachment]planted 3 bare root trees 3 months ago. 1 appricot, 1 peach, and one plum. All came like a stick with no leaves or fruits. Each tree is about 6 feet tall with a lot of side branches. After around 1 and half months, the dormant trees started to wake up producing some leaves. Over the last one and half months, I noticed that all the foliage are at the lower 1/3 of the main stem with none on the upper stem or in the branches. Am I doing something wrong? Is this is a sign of poor watering or fertilization? Each tree has one year warranty, should I call for replacement at that point or wait till the end of summer?
Thank you
Attachments
20220622_064023.jpg
20220622_064044.jpg
Last edited by habdelkawi on Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

applestar
Mod

It’s possible the upper part of the branches died back. This could have been due to winter die back that hadn’t been pruned by the seller (one on line nursery I know of charges extra for pre-shipment pruning for example) … insufficient protective wrapping for shipment that caused dehydration … exposure to sudden frost or freeze after planting … root damage and/or insufficient watering at/after planting…, etc.

Try tapping on the leafless part of the branches with something like a pen or pencil (or stick) and see if they feel/sound light and hollow. If they do, try and see if you can easily snap the ends.

I feel like regardless, the thing to do is to cut back to about 1/2 inch above the healthiest growth so the dead or weakened branch tops won’t invite pests or diseases, and the trees can concentrate on growing out healthier new branch tips.

BE SURE TO use alcohol or bleach solution on cutting tools before and after each cut to avoid introducing disease.

applestar
Mod

Re-reading your OP, I realized you said lower 1/3 of main stem/ trunk.

Is there a bulge on the trunk above where the leaves are growing? If so then the growths may be only from below the graft, and only the rootstock of each tree is still alive.

May be best if you post photos…..

habdelkawi
Newly Registered

There is no bulge above the growing leaves and the growth is above the graft.
I attached the pictures to the original post
Thank you

applestar
Mod

Wow — my personal opinion — that’s going to take 3 years or more to restore to the growth level of what you purchased. So if refund/replacement is available, it would be best to get the process started.

…I agree these growths are above the graft…

habdelkawi
Newly Registered

What caused this to happen though? Is it something that I can fix?

applestar
Mod

I did propose several scenarios above — I was talking about upper branches and tip growths, but more severe conditions might have affected the entire upper tree…does any of the situations seem probable or likely?

I guess another relevant data would be where you got them from — was it a reputable company, and also growing zone of the nursery vs. where you are located. (An experienced/established mail order place would have reliable shipping practices including adjusting to best timing for shipping to your area based on weather conditions etc.). Big box stores may or may not have been taking best care of bare root trees, etc.

When buying mail order/online, I try to consider whether they are located to the south — earlier last frost, trees breaking bud earlier, trees used to milder winters — vs. north — later last frost, trees still dormant, can withstand more severe winter temps.

Also I worry about temperatures in intervening shipping routes such as over the mountains or sudden severe high or low temps… and I try to only buy from only a couple of states over … or less than 2 or 3 actual shipping transit days in truck and warehouse + handling days. (I like to take advantage of free expedited …or free shipping +expedited shipping offer, etc.) upgrade

Return to “All Other Fruit”