Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Frozen Concentrate

I am making frozen fruit concentrate just for FUN this is an educational learning project. I saw this on YouTube and can't resist trying this especial sense it is 18°F out side every night. I bought great value can peaches to experiment with they don't cost much.

When water freezes it expands about 10% larger. When fruit freezes it breaks all the juice cells in the fruit. When frozen fruit thaws out all the liquid runs our of the fruit. I refroze the fruit 3 times to see if I can remove more juice & sugar syrup from the peaches. Peaches ended up looks like yellow pieces of fiber almost like yellow cotton.

Then I froze liquid in empty soft drink bottles. When ice slowly melts sugar syrup freezes at a different temperature than water so sugar syrup run out first as ice slowly warms up and starts to melt.

When ice is snow white all sugar syrup & peach flavor has drained out, throw ice away then freeze yellow liquid again to make a more concentrated fruit flavor. Slowly let ice melt again when ice is white throw ice away, then freeze liquid again.

I'm not keeping notes just refreeze over & over until liquid becomes clear as water I think I refroze this 3 times. Solid material and tiny peach fibers become trapped in the ice so liquid drains out more clear each time it is frozen again.

Liquid I have collected in the 2 measuring cups is very clean concentrated flavor peach juice. Liquid is clear as water but still has yellow color with very good peach flavor.

Fruit could by concentrated by boiling off the water but you could never get liquid clear as water by boiling it.

I proved it works now what to do with high concentrate fruit juice.
Attachments
100_3564.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Have you tried making tea with the peach infused water??

You could make your own peach flavored iced (or hot) tea :wink:

Return to “All Other Fruit”