Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Mango

How to know when a Mango is ripe?

It is 1/3 red color and softer than it was 3 days ago.

I don't want it to get over ripe.
Attachments
100_3521.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

You just get it soft, but not too soft. Easier said than done! It's one of those things like avocados - after a while, you just get a feel for it, but there can still be some bad spots in some, which you can cut out.

imafan26
Mod

I actually like my mango half ripe with a sauce made of pepper, soy sauce and a little sugar. The mango probably came from Mexico. If you smell the stem end it will smell fruity as it gets to be over ripe. The skin should start to give to pressure when it is ripe. When it is colored up like that it is at least half ripe. If you start to see black spots from anthrachnose on the skin, you have waited too long.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:25 pm
I actually like my mango half ripe with a sauce made of pepper, soy sauce and a little sugar. The mango probably came from Mexico. If you smell the stem end it will smell fruity as it gets to be over ripe. The skin should start to give to pressure when it is ripe. When it is colored up like that it is at least half ripe. If you start to see black spots from anthrachnose on the skin, you have waited too long.
Mango is now 50% red color today. It is no longer hard, now it feels soft, push a bit too hard it makes a dent that pops out again. The whole mango is like soft rubber. If its not ripe then it sure is very close to being ripe.

applestar
Mod

Try smelling it too. I think soft give like peach or pear, waxy bloom (not artificial), and fruity smell.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We both smelled it, no smell. I pealed the mango. It is a bit like cutting soft rubber and like eating rubber bands. It tastes about like the yellow part of a banana peal. It won't make good wine. LMFAO

It makes me think of avocado or a peach that is not ripe yet. Will all the sliced pieces get riper?

I hope it does not cause diarrhea.
Attachments
100_3523.JPG

imafan26
Mod

If the slices are still a bit crunchy then it is half ripe. You can still eat it, no problem.
It won't get riper, but the pieces will get a bit soggy. What you can do is pickle the pieces or make a mango salsa, or chutney. It is cold usually a mango will can take one or two weeks to ripen. It probably needed at few more days. In a warmer climate it ripens much faster. We slow ripening by keeping it in the fridge. You can also make a mango salsa with them. When they are not fully ripe, they are not as sweet. Fully ripe mango is sweet and juicy.

The other thing about mango are that some varieties will be firmer. Some mango can be stringy especially if the tree has not been taken care of or it can be because of the variety. Mango is a common backyard tree in old neighborhoods. Newer neighborhoods have large houses but very small yards so only the perimeter lots are big enough to support large fruit trees like mango, avocado, or lychee. Mango trees live a long time and many trees are as old as the neighborhood.

https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/recipe ... ckle-mango
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HC-2.pdf

Return to “All Other Fruit”