LikeMarigold

Dwarf Trees in Pots

I received three dwarf fruit trees from an older relative to whom it didn't occur that my inner-city landlord might not be amenable to my turning our wee patch of dirt into a shady miniature orchard. They're en route to my house.

The perfect excuse to try new plants :D

My plan is to procure three giant tubs of at least 2' x 2' and fill them with a compost mix. I'll plant the three bare-root trees (a golden delicious, a saturn peach, and a fig) in the pots, and water them every three or four days until summer's heat and then amp it up as needed.

I figure I should fertilize every 4 weeks starting now, but still slow down in mid-July to stop them from shooting new growth just before winter. BONUS: I'll bring the fig tree inside for the winter (I'm in zone 6b, and the fig wants protection from -10F, according to Stark Brothers)! I have a huge window where it can soak up sun from November to February.

We'll be buying a house in the next two years, so these guys won't have more than two growing seasons in pots. How does that sound?

I'm looking for two things:

:arrow: feedback from others who have or have had dwarf fruit trees in containers with tips for success--I want them to live until we make it to their permanent home!
:arrow: suggestions & brainstorms for great big containers that I can get CHEAPLY. I can't spend $100 each plus S&H! :?

doccat5
Green Thumb

Great idea. You may need at least one more apple and peach for good fruit production, I'm not sure if that's a self pollinator or not, but I'm assuming these are young ones, so you have time for that.

I would suggest seeing if you can find a local source for whiskey barrels. Those are big enough for what you want to do and invest in rollers for them as well and your back will thank you for it. LOL

If you purchase the property, you might consider doing your fruit trees in the espalier style. It takes some work, but you actually get much heavier production in a small space. The French and English have been doing it for centuries and it is an striking art form as well. Lots of good information on the web about this and it's making a comeback so you may be able to find a nursery that's giving classes in how to do it correctly. It's not rocket science, but you need to pay attention to what you're doing. :)

Return to “All Other Fruit”