blueberry_noir
Newly Registered

Growing Plum Tree(s) in Containers

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, it is nice to meet you!
My mother and I decided we would like to grow dwarf or semi-dwarf fruit trees in containers. We don't own the place we are at currently so the trees may need to wait a year or two before being planted in the ground. I am allergic to many kinds of fruits but I am not allergic to stone fruits so I am looking to plant a plum tree. My backup option is an apricot tree.

I have a number of questions and I've already done hours of research but found there's little information out there. Could anyone please issue a response to my questions if you know?

FYI - I live in Michigan in the USA in growing zone 6A and we get long cold winters (up to -20F/-28.8C sometimes) and occasional arctic freezes. Spring isn't usually until early or mid-April and trees don't usually bloom until late April/May.

1. I am hearing mixed reviews about the taste of the Stanley plums-my own palate isn't immensely picky towards fruit but does anyone know how it tastes? I cannot find them where I live to try them first. But I heard someone grew them in Canada with success so they may do well in my climate.

2. Can Italian plums be grown in a location that has long winters? Do they taste much better than Stanley plums?

3. If I am only planting my tree in a container will I get plums the first year?

4. If the tree I buy is taller (6 or 7 feet?) is it more likely to bear fruit rather quickly? I have issues with instant gratification... :(

5. Are European plums high maintenance? I read that Japanese plums are high maintenance.

Thank you all for reading! I will hope for a response.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Blueberry,
As you can see ..I’m in the UK..but I can help a little with your plums I think.
First is the question of plums in containers.
The rootstocks for plums are not so dwarfing as those available for top fruit at the moment. So you may have more of a problem controlling growth if you want to keep the tree to a reasonable level.
So I would suggest that you bought a tree that was not too old as it will be easier to keep under control.
As regards the cold.
If it’s in a container it’s the roots that are going to be susceptible to frost damage.
The trunk will tolerate much lower temps...but the root system will be more vulnerable.
So in the winter it will need wrapping well around the container.

blueberry_noir
Newly Registered

Thank you for the advice with wrapping!! We will definitely look into that. I got smaller-ish trees, the Italian Plum is as tall as or slightly shorter than me (I'm 5'3) but I also got a Greengage Plum from the nursery that is maybe more around 6', perhaps a tad more.

I think in a year we may be able to consider planting them if necessary because we may be in a purchased house instead of renting. But if I can put it off until I can own my own home that would be much more ideal.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Don’t be frightened to tie branches down to as near horizontal as possible without them breaking.
This does two things.
It slows the trees growth up and helps stop it flying for the sky , and it helps to encourage fruit bud formation along the branches length.
After a couple of months the branches will stay were they are and the ties can be removed.

Return to “All Other Fruit”