ghost1

Is there any hope for this tree?

I planted this Nikita's Gift persimmon tree on April 23rd 2021 in zone 5b. Two days later, the leaves began to wilt and fall off. Today's picture shows no new growth. Can it be saved or should I start over?
Attachments
IMG_3167[1].JPG
IMG_3180[1].JPG

applestar
Mod

Do the tips of the branches snap and are brittle and dry?

ghost1

The very ends are dry and feel dead. Closer to the ground, bark is a lighter color.

applestar
Mod

I’m thinking that in Indiana, you probably had some cold snaps still in Late April? Where did the tree come from? The leaves in the photo look very tender.

I didn’t keep a very good photo record this year, but the persimmon I have, NOT Japanese but a hardy American variety called Prok, doesn’t usually leaf out until later. I don’t have Nikita’s Gift (which I believe is Russian.Siberian hybrid with American species…) so I can’t say for sure, but I’m just wondering if your tree might have come from a warmer zone already leafed out, then encountered a frost or freezing temp and lost leaves/got set back, etc.

You could try the so called “scratch test” scrape a bit of the bark with thumbnail or whatever and see if there is green underneath. I have to tell you I’ve never tried this test myself, but it’s a common advice. I usually just go by what branch sounds hollow when flicked and snaps/breaks like dry stick... but obliviously you can’t/don’t want to do that to the trunk.

ghost1

Thanks applestar for taking time to respond. Yes Indiana had very cold temps and late frosts this year. Tree came from Florida and I was surprised it arrived leafed out. I thought being that time of year, it would arrive dormant. I can get a replacement but not sure if it's too late in season to plant?

applestar
Mod

The issue in getting the replacement now is that it will be very tricky to make sure the plant will survive the shipping period unless it is shipped 1-day express with environment control.

I wouldn’t trust Two-day. And currently there can still be other delay factors although certainly not as completely disrupted as over the past year. I’m not sure if my doubt is just lingering after effects and misplaced mistrust….

Put in the claim for replacement to be sent to you next season, and/or refund/credit, but …unless they want you to ship it back as proof, I would try caring for it as if it is still alive and see if it manages to come back. It might just be sulking.

FWIW — I try to order live plants during period when temperatures are in good survival range even in cold or hot truck or warehouse, and unless absolutely unavailable, try to find a source within same as my usda zone or only + or - 1 zone, and within two-day trucking distance (keeping the conditions of interstate climate/temperatures as well). This generally can have added benefit of no extra shipping surcharges depending on the nursery/plant source.

ghost1

Thanks again for that info. I took your advise and scraped the bark and there's still green! I'm hoping it thought it was winter again and went dormant. Temps are really heating up now and maybe it will wake up. I'll post if anything changes.

ghost1

Update: Looks like there might be hope. Should I fertilize?
Attachments
tree.jpg

Return to “All Other Fruit”