River

Fruit trees in the front yard

I just recently had all of the pine trees removed and my wife wants something planted. Living in Mobile we are in zone 8. I am all about edible plants but not very knowledgeable about fruit trees.

I understand that Myer lemons have to be cared for the first few years and that I understand. The problem is my wife wants something with some size.

Peaches don’t grow well. My neighbor has all sorts of fruit trees and the husband didn’t know what was what. His wife wasn’t home .

I think they were all some kind of citrus. I am wondering if any of the citrus trees grow a good bit within the first year

All of the Meyers are in 3 gallon containers

I could just plant live oaks and be done with it, but I would like a fruit tree and I need to satisfy my wife

She doesn’t like new neighborhoods that are built on farmland and don’t have trees

River

I think I have answered my own question. A fruit tree would grow to slow to appease my wife and I agree the yard looks bad without the trees. Now I think that maybe we need to look at redoing the shrubbery and plants in the flower bed. Plus I need to add compost to the lawn to get the grass to grow.

We need curbside appeal

imafan26
Mod

Although it would take longer to fruit, you could get grafted fruit trees that might produce fruit in a couple of years. it is possible for some trees to be ready to fruit if they are large enough.

A garden is a work in progress, it never ends. You can plant the fruit trees and some permanent and temporary shrubs and annuals for curb appeal.

applestar
Mod

You may want to wait at least a year before planting anything where you removed the pine trees to give the roots time to die and break down. Having removed these trees, sun exposure in your garden will have changed and you will need to learn what that looks like as well.

Also, where pine trees used to be would most likely have acid soil for a long time. This will affect what will grow well ne would be suitable, and what would definitely not.

So this would be your chance to take time to learn what is involved in caring for different kinds of fruit trees — and decide what you really want. “Fruit trees” is too broad.

- Some fruit trees need 2 or more of the same but different cultivars to cross pollinate and set fruit. How much space are we talking about?

- Fruit trees can be standard (tall tree) or dwarf of various heights depending on the rootstock. You also need to learn which rootstock and which cultivar are best suited to your area in terms of soil type and prevalent disease/pest profile.

- “Fruit trees“ can include nut trees, although they will take a very long time to bear

...are you including lower-growing shrubs, etc in this quest? Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries? Does elderberry count?

Return to “All Other Fruit”