ghost1

Pear tree identification

I planted this pear tree several years ago, (5 I think), and it bore a few fruit the second year and nothing since. I'm hoping someone can identify what kind of pear tree it is and if it would help to plant a second one for cross pollination.
Attachments
IMG_2277[1].jpg
IMG_2276[1].jpg
IMG_2275[1].jpg

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it’s going to be nearly impossible to identify variety without fruit to consider. at this point, just some kind of european pear is as close as I can get. what was the fruit like? where did you get it?

has it been flowering, just not setting fruit? it looks like it would respond well to some pruning and shaping...

failing figuring out what it is, grafting two varieties onto it (to make sure you’re not just doubling up on what it already is) should get pollination happening. pears are pretty forgiving with grafting if you time it right (right when it’s starting to push in the spring).

applestar
Mod

grafting two varieties onto it (to make sure you’re not just doubling up on what it already is) should get pollination happening. pears are pretty forgiving with grafting if you time it right (right when it’s starting to push in the spring).
...Ooooh! That’s a neat idea :D ...something to think about for next spring. When do you collect the scions?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I usually aim for late winter, after the coldest parts of deep winter are past...a cool but not frozen day in february, for instance. last year’s growth.

Return to “All Other Fruit”