Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Which fruit trees is best for Eating & Baking Cobblers.

WHAT peaches & apples variety is best for baking pies & cobbler?

WHAT peaches & apples are best for eating?

I know, sweet apples are for eating & tart apples make good cobbler & pie. I don't know apple or peach names?

imafan26
Mod

The best baking apple are granny smiths.

For me the best all around apple for baking and eating are Gala.

I can only grow low chill golden delicious apples. It is marginal here, and not worth it.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Red Globe peaches are really good to just eat fresh or to slice up and stick in the freezer for cobbler.
Granny Smith I've heard are the best for cooking. But as for me, I prefer sweet apples like Fuji.

imafan26
Mod

Fuji are good for eating, but for baking you want an apple that won't turn to mush and will keep their integrity.
You are lucky you can get good fresh peaches.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

re: apples, if you’re talking about actually getting a tree to plant, I’d stay away from most grocery-store varieties, since most of those were selected for surviving shipping best. there are so many better varieties out there.

for baking, northern spy or some of its offspring (fortune is a really good one), haralson, wolf river, gravenstein, winesap, baldwin...rome used to be one of the go-to’s for baking.

do you know your average chill hours, gary? that could help narrow it down for you.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Are there any cherry trees that grow in 100° F hot weather with mild winter weather that make tarp pie cherries?

Return to “All Other Fruit”