blackberries
Newly Registered

NEED ADVISE ON HOW TO TRANSFER BLACKBERRIES

I need some help transfering my black berrie vines from one area of my yard to another. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to do this. The vines are very importaant to me they came from my grandmothers yard and have been at my house for 20 years now, but I need to move them because they are to close to the new play structure we jsut put up. Please let me know what you guys know about digging the vines up and replanting them and also about what I should do to get the new area ready for best results. Thanks![/b]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

To get the area read work some good composted manure, some compost and perhaps some leafmold and work that into the soil before planting. Water the plant the day before you dig it up. Let the sprinkler run for about an hour to really soak the soil.

Anybody else have any ideas?

blackberries
Newly Registered

is there anything special I should do when digging up the plant and re positioning them in the soil? Thanks for your advise

doccat5
Green Thumb

Just make sure you get a goodly quantity of soil with the root system and make sure the base of the plant is at the same level at the new location. They should do fine.

Buckshot
Newly Registered

I have been working with Blackberries for the last 5yrs. I have transplanted plants from Arkansas to Dallas Tx. One thing I can tell you is it would be better to do it in the winter when they are dorment. That being said Blackberry roots are in the top 6in of soil and it is almost impossible to kill a Blackberry plant. When you cut the root while digging it up you will inevitably leave some behind and new plants will grow up from the old roots unless you use some type of poison. The most important thing is preparing the new site, BB like well draining soil with lots of organic material with a ph of 6.0-6.8 and remember the roots are in the top 6in so it is better to prepare a wide bed not a deep one. The type of BB plant is important also, for Trailing types 6-10ft apart, for erect or simi-erect you can plant closer 4-6ft apart. You have probably already moved your BB plants so I hope things worked out

Jess
Greener Thumb

Buckshot wrote: it is almost impossible to kill a Blackberry plant. When you cut the root while digging it up you will inevitably leave some behind and new plants will grow up from the old roots unless you use some type of poison.
I can vouch for that. I had a thornless variety that was heavily infested with scale. I shovel pruned it as it was in the wrong place anyway. I now have two very healthy ones coming up in that same area!

Return to “All Other Fruit”