permanewbie
Newly Registered

How do I correct a poorly formed peach tree?

Close-up of trunk below the scaffolds
Close-up of trunk below the scaffolds
D70960A4-EF90-44CC-9B13-92B1C16E42C2.jpeg
FF4DD984-BE24-47A9-BCDB-8D7B87622AF4.jpeg
Hello everybody!
I am completely new to this subject. I've researched, but haven't found information specific to my problem, so I hope someone hereabouts can help me. I was given a young (2-3 years old I guess) poorly pruned peach tree (pictures attached) in a 2 gallon pot. From what I saw, the roots don't seem to be very well developed (far from being root-bound). I planted it with a mixture of the sandy soil it came in, some store-bought garden soil, and some natural fertilizer. It's about 10 feet tall, and 12-18 inches above the ground - where I'm thinking of pruning below the two, narrowly crotched scaffolding branches - the trunk is one inch in diameter. From what I've read and seen, I need to chop it back to a stub to create 3-4 new, better angled scaffolds. My questions are: should I in fact do this, is it ok to do it now in the middle of May, and how risky is it? I’ll appreciate any other advice, too. I am in Ankara, Turkey, which I'm told has a climate similar to Denver. Thanks in advance for your help!

applestar
Mod

Welcome to the forum :D

Just a couple of quick comments for now but will come back later —

- concerned about apparent bark injury just below the fork — looks like it had been roughly handled — maybe carried around by that part of trunk while potted.

- don’t cut below the fork branches if that’s what you said - no guarantee of viable buds

- the tree needs to be tipped — need to study existing upper branches to determine where to cut

- don’t know enough to say whether one of the fork should be pruned at trunk to shape into single trunk, or better to pull one down more horizontal and below where the other “main” trunk is pruned/tipped — need the first side branch to be lower than buds on leader/main so THEY will grow well.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

the tree looks like a decent shape to go for a vase-shape instead of a central leader with scaffolds...

permanewbie
Newly Registered

964E2D7E-D114-4F80-82AF-C1C1B82DC8D6.jpeg
BA78E010-975D-41DA-9462-4EC3A7C774D9.jpeg
I just noticed that both branches of the fork appear to be grafted also. So 3 grafts in total. Am I correct, and does this matter in what to do? Photo below. I've also added a photo of the first three branches on the most upright main branch. So if I prune the other main branch, these will be the new scaffolds. They are about 4 feet from the ground.

permanewbie
Newly Registered

Thanks for your replies! Roger, applestar, on not cutting below the fork. That’s what I was talking about.

Return to “All Other Fruit”