Java

Plants/bare roots for berries

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying bare roots of strawberry to grow this season.

Do you have any suggestion for shops in NJ(central NJ)?

Most seem to sell plants and it gets expensive quickly, if I am looking to plant around 15.

I am also looking into raspberry, blackberry and blueberry. May be blueberry I just need one plant. I need probably 5 raspberry and 5 blackberry.

I have never tried berries. First time trying it out.

java.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Bare root strawberries are the only way I have ever planted and they do very well. Ten years ago we did blackberries and after three years there were more berries than we ever wanted. This year raspberries are going in. Both blackberries and raspberries are bare root. They require a little work, both in the first couple of years until they are established and then yearly pruning needs to be done. Our blackberries are thornless and the fruit gets very large. The canes tend to spread and naturalize so be prepared.

Our soil pH is quite high and blueberries need a soil pH of around 4 so no blueberries in our future. Have fun.

applestar
Mod

this is the time to plant them — normally — it feels warmer and could have been started even earlier. I’m getting ready to possibly buy some more blueberries — thinking of visiting a blueberry farm in south jersey that is advertising right now — DiMeo’s minimum order of 5 for $10 three yr old mature bushes.
they also advertise rasp and blackberry canes.

I have never seen bare root strawberries of the superior quality I have received by mail order around here. certainly not at big box stores. I have ordered from Jung and Stark Bros in the past.

it’s essential to get disease free stock so I would not go cheap for strawberry plants

Java

Thanks for the replies.

applestar,
I was pretty excited to hear a local name. have you done business with this farm.

I did look for reviews and stumbled on yelp. Lots of people complaining about the owners being short tempered and loose canon.

sometimes reviews are skewed due to bitter reviewers. Let me know, what you think.

java.

Return to “All Other Fruit”