deansh
Newly Registered

pawpaw

I'm looking for someone in eastern nc who has a pawpaw tree that I could get a couple of male stage flowers from. I have several trees with buds but all are from seeds from the same tree. I live near new bern, nc.
Thanks

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I'm not sure I understand. if your trees are all seedlings (regardless if they're from the same tree) they should pollinate each other just fine. pollination is only a problem when they're all genetically identical - I.e. clones.

deansh
Newly Registered

Would they not be clones? They may be all from the same fruit, I can't remember.

applestar
Mod

Even if they are from same fruit, fruit seeds are not identical twins since each seed derives from a single pollen. So I believe genetically they are more like siblings with different inherited traits if the pollen came from a single different tree, or like step-sibs with same mother and different fathers if the pollen came from different trees.

...correct me if I’m wrong !potatoes! :wink:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

that should be right. they aren't clones if they came from seed, and should be different enough to pollinate each other, even if they came from the same fruit.

deansh
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info. I have other cultivars growing, but haven't produced flower buds yet.

Return to “All Other Fruit”