applestar
Mod

Blueberry pruning tips

I actually need tips for pruning northern lowbush and medium height blueberries, but I came across this as an example for southern rabbit-eye blueberry care, so I thought I’d just post it for reference — the video is no dialog and Japanese subtitles only, but maybe enough? Post screenshots and ask if you need clarification, and I will try.

菜園だより190923足踏みスイッチ・剪定
Orchard Diary 2019.09.23 foot-operated switch hack • pruning/training

Gist —
- September pruning the rabbit-eye blueberries forces floral/fruiting bud formation
- hard pruning old wood forces renewal growth in following year
- Cut down 2 year old arch-joined branches (wrapped together with bonsai wire) and arch join new long branches — arched branches form more shoots that produce floral buds

- he is REALLY making me want an electric shredder
- his location is probably Zone 8b

... btw — his blueberry orchard is completely protected with wind/hail netting and bird netting during the pre-hurricane growing season, but he removes the bird-netting for the rest of the season once hurricane is predicted to hit his area. In another video, he said the hornets/wasps have direct access once the netting is removed, and he uses baited sticky mousetraps to trap them, as well as recycled soda bottle traps. — He said (Fanta) grape soda works best in the soda bottle wasp trap sometimes he adds a bit of shochu wine.

Return to “All Other Fruit”