applestar
Mod

Late August - Early September fruit?

What tree, bush, and vine fruits are you harvesting at this time of the year?

I’m in a lull — I think normally I would be getting some green/immature apples now, but that’s about it, but my apples are not doing well this year. The pears didn’t set fruit again this year — I had 2 tiny fruits from the Seckel.

I’m also plucking some scattered grapes — they have some kind of fruit rot so only a few in each truss is harvestable. I’m also starting to get red raspberries from a transplanted crown but it’s still a very small plant with maybe 2 canes.

(I will probably start seeing ripe melons soon, maybe next week, but I was thinking more perennial fruit.)

I think I would like something productive and relatively easy to grow to harvest about now to fill the gap until the figs and the persimmons are ready.

I’ve been meaning to get another apple tree and I could definitely choose a cultivar that ripens around now, but I wanted see what other folks are growing and harvesting. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

nada. Peaches, apples, blueberries, and elderberries are done. My fig trees are too little to bear. I don't have grapes so no fruit now....

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

My grapes are done.
Peach, Pear, Apricot, Apple, Pomegranate, Cherry, Lime, Lemon, Gogi Berry, Hardy Kiwi, Chokeberry are all on their fist year with the exception of the Hardy Kiwi on its second, so I have no idea what they'll do in the coming years.

Maypops are going like gangbusters but will be late September early October when they're ready.

I have one first year fig tree loaded with figs but not sure if they will have time to ripen, all the other one year figs are showing no signs of fruit.
Cantaloupe may be ready mid to late September?
Raspberries are still around, some fruit here and there.

Apple have you thought about Columnar Apple trees, you could get a bunch in a relatively small area.

applestar
Mod

Hmmm.... so you are both seeing a lull in fruit harvest, too?

I’m thinking I should try taking better care of my grape — build an overhead trellis to give it more room to grow, spread out, and get more airflow maybe. It’s growing out of SE patio-side bed, and I had tried growing tomatoes there before but found it to be too shaded. But the grapes grow up near the first floor family room roof eaves and grow up into where there is direct sun. Lavender planted in that bed died. I was going to try growing day neutral/everbearing strawberries there, but I can’t if I want the grape because I would end up trampling in the strawberries.

My DREAM build would be a sturdy white patio gazebo/grape arbor underhung with adjustable weatherproof shadecloth . That would add summer shade for the kitchen windows, too. But that’s not in the budget right now so it will have to be something I can build myself over the bed along the roofline.

My figs are loaded with still hard green fruits, too. They should start ripening around end of September then until frost.

I ABSOLUTELY have to choose apple and pear cultivars that have excellent fireblight and ceda-apple rust resistance. So the columnars are out until they come up with better strains. I do have one but it is struggling — this one has moderate fireblight resistance but is not resistant enough to cedar-apple rust.

Oh! if my pawpaws ever decide to bear fruits, they would fruit sometime between now and frost, I think. I have a pair that should mutually pollinize growing in the Front Yard Fence Row with an elderberry, and I “found” a 3rd one -that has grown from seed I planted but thought had failed- in a bed in front of the shed in the far corner of the back yard (I would have to hand-pollinate that one, or else maybe get a grafted named cultivar to grow next to it. 8) )

PaulF
Greener Thumb

All the berries and peaches and apricots are gone but this year has been a banner year for apples. None of the varieties I am growing are ripe yet so I guess I am in a lull between berries, peaches and apricots and apples. But then, there is always a lull between everything else and apples and pears. Must be the varieties of apples and pears since they are all late producers.

I have just begun tree fruit growing other than peaches, so this is actually the first good year for me for apples and pears. I keep planting more trees hoping it will get better. I seem to lose about half my new trees so that tells me I need to pay more attention.

imafan26
Mod

Strawberries, avocado, Meyer lemon, Persian lime, Calamondin. My dragon fruit is flowering now, if only I could get to it to pollinate it on time. Bilimbi fruit is immature, Brown Turkey figs. Chayote still has some fruit left, and I still have tomatoes. Eggplant and chili peppers (super chili, Chinese Giant bell pepper, Emerald bell, bhut jolokia, Fushimi Sweet, Kung pao.)

applestar
Mod

Ah! I need to get my seed-grown Meyer lemon to grow — or give in and try buying a grafted one again (I killed the last one). I also have small Meiwa Kumquat with two tiny green fruits. I believe this one is supposed to fruit year-round once fully productive. I grow citrus from seeds for fun, do I also have seedling key lime and probably Lisbon Lemon that may have started to bloom.

...Here’s a good guide for tree fruits in mid-Pennsylvania that probably applies in my area as well — I wonder if I dare to buy 5 fruit trees this year....?
https://www.acnursery.com/doc/8/ACN-maturity-chart.pdf

applestar
Mod

...so far have my eyes on these... :-()

Apple
- Liberty*
- Williams Pride*
- Akane
- Zestar!

European Pear
- Blake’s Pride* or Moonglow*
- Sunrise

European Plum - Blue Byrd

Peach - August Rose*

...also these...

Apricot
- Harogem*
- Harlayne

Japanese Plum Hybrid
- Spring Satin Plumcot*

Japanese Plum pollinizers - not listed as disease resistant but good for umeboshi/plum ‘wine’ liqueur
- Early Golden
- Shiro

Asian Pear - Shinko

ACW

Almost due for harvest are a few apples and pears,had the last few plums this week ,and there are plenty of wild blackberries around .
London is again having record high temperatures ,my garden is a shade haven early through till midday then it bakes.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Apricots and peaches gone.
Raspberries in full pick.
Early apples off. Main crop about to start.
Pears a couple of weeks to start.
Plums frosted....zero.
Californian seedless ruby grapes just starting to colour.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh yes, paw paw. A friend of mine has five pawpaw trees and tons of fruit ripe right now. He gave us a few. I actually had never tasted pawpaw before. I actually had 3 pawpaw trees in the wooded section of my yard in Cincinnati, but they had never borne fruit before I left. (I think it was a bit TOO shady for them where they were, which slowed that down.) They taste wonderful!. But the ratio of fruit to seed is pretty low. By the time you get all those big seeds out, there's not much left to eat.

Would I be able to sprout those seeds? Probably need cold stratification?

applestar
Mod

OzarkLady sent me seeds from her (freshly broached) PawPaws and I planted them all around the yard immediately. They sprouted next spring — the seeds I tried to grow intentionally didn’t make it. I had two growing but I think one of them might have died. 2nd one was actually “discovered” a couple of years later when I thought I had an avocado pit growing in a shady bed.

So now I have 2 bought as potted “seedling” pawpaws (from EdibleLandscaping) and 1 OzarkLady pawpaw. The earlier purchased/planted trees have been blooming for the last couple of years but have not been able to set fruits/keep fruits on the trees so far. Maybe they just need more time, but I’m not taking care of them very well either.

If the fruit you had was excessively seedy, you might want to try growing a different one... or purchase grafted named cultivar. You might also be able to find a local PawPaw enthusiasts club or festival. There is supposed to be one in Pennsylvania where they compare fruits. It’s a little too far for me to go though.

imafan26
Mod

citrus can be grown from seed, but you need to wait about 5 years for it to bear fruit. Some seeds will be sterile and may never bear fruit. That has happened with calamondin. I usually only grow kaffir limes from seed since I am only interested in the leaves anyway. I can graft the kaffir lime onto a calamondin rootstock which is resistant to trestiza virus.
Hawaii is not ideal for citrus which do not like the diseases, heat and humidity. Oranges do not turn orange here since it is not cold enough. The local Kau orange is basically a Washington navel orange but it has a thinner skin and a different mottled color. Meyer's lemon, persian limes, calamondin, Washington navel, kumquat, tangelo, tangerines, and kaffir limes do ok. I struggle to keep Lisbon, yuzu, and kinsu alive.

I don't have any, but avocado trees should have fruit ready to pick at this time of the year.

Return to “All Other Fruit”