rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Peach tree died.

I had two dwarf peach trees. One of them had trunk wounds that I wrote in about before. It is fine and healthy and made lots of peaches. The other one looked great in the spring, leafed out fully and then got covered with blossoms. The blossoms all turned into tiny baby peaches. Then the tree just up and died, pretty quickly. The leaves turned yellow and then all dropped off. :cry: :( :shock: I presume some disease. I didn't see any evidence of insects, etc.

My question now is, I want to replace it. If I have the dead tree removed, is it ok to put another one in the same spot or will it be likely to get the same disease?

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

By any chance are there any Black Walnut trees close by?

JONA
Greener Thumb

There’s always a chance of a problem when replanting same species of fruit trees.
Peaches themselves can be susceptible to Peach Replant disease.
If you can move to a different site it would always be preferably.

applestar
Mod

What a bummer! Do you have a different location to plant the new one?

JONA, is it OK to plant any other non-stone fruit tree in the same spot like apple or pear? Maybe persimmon? Or Pawpaw?

...what about nut trees? ...obviously not almond, but walnut? pecan? chestnut?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Yes..it’s fine to plant any of the other fruits.
Stone fruits seem to have a problem in transplant health at times. Thinking here on things like Bacterial Canker that can be such a headache with plums and cherries.
I don’t know about soil sterilisation if it was the only site available. There are such methods available but I don’t know your regulations that side of the pond as regards the availability of the required chemicals for general public use.

From what I can gather.....
Peach roots that get left in the ground affect the replanting of further peaches by their production of hydrocyanic acid. HNC.
This impairs and can kill replants.
Apples are far less affected by it and almonds seem to be resistant.
Whole load of info on the Webb...but must confess it makes my brain hurt trying to get around the blurb!

Return to “All Other Fruit”