applestar
Mod

Propagating feijoa from root suckers?

I’m copying a question posted by jubilado here

Subject: What are you eating from your 2019 garden?
jubilado wrote:I'm eating the last of the nispera, the oranges are nearly done, lemons and avocados continue to produce, and the nectarines are just about ready. A shop in Orgiva gives me two euros a kilo for avocados, an excellent price as they sell for under four euros, but I failed to thin mine out and most are rather small.
I noticed a sudden burst of quince fruiting this morning, and hope not to make the same mistake.

There's a public footpath - a nature walk - which goes through the middle of my garden, and yesterday I was looking over the balcony and spotted a friend from the village, with her daughter who teaches me Spanish every week, and her husband who I'd not previously met. I went down to have a chat, and it transpired that they had bought what was supposed to be a feijoa tree over the 'net, and were not sure it was as advertised. Could they have a look at my feijoa and compare?
We went down to the lowest accessible terrace, where my two trees are, and it was obvious that they had something similar but not the same. My Spanish is poor but I think they have something from the guavo family?

There are suckers growing from the base of one tree, and they asked if, when winter comes, they could try to propagate some.
Of course I agreed, but I'm also wondering if it would be better to take clones now, while everything is growing?
Any advice would be welcome ...

applestar
Mod

Anybody? I don’t even know what this (presumably fruit-bearing) tree is — I would have to go look it up.

JONA
Greener Thumb

I’ve tried to check on this one and all I can find is to take cuttings from the tree in late summer and root them immediately with a rooting hormone in sandy compost.
Those shoots should be fine in that case.
I assume from this that dormant cuttings will not take.

Return to “All Other Fruit”