Neophyte

Is my nectarine dying?

Hello,
I had to replant my three year old nectarine when it was already in full bloom. I know it was a terrible time to do that but I had no choice. At first the leaves wilted and now they dried out completely. The only sign of life is the bark which is still greenish if I scratch it a little bit. It hurts to see my tree in this condition. Is there any hope it will revive next year? Is there anything I can do to help it survive the shock of replanting?

Thank you.

JONA
Greener Thumb

If all the leaves have dried out and fallen..then it’s too late to prune your tree back.
This would have been the correct thing to do to stop the heavy top from losing water faster than the damaged root structure could replace it.
All you can do now is be patient, keep your tree well watered and staked, and look for signs of new bud breaking.
Die back may occur on the branch and shoot ends so these may have to be cut back if buds break further back in their length.
Good luck.

imafan26
Mod

Sometimes, when you "have to" do something, the plant is already in distress and hard to save. If I have to move a plant in less than ideal conditions, I try to water and feed it first so it has reserves. If it is only damaged on top, cutting the top can often salvage a plant, even if it means giving up the blooms and fruit. If the roots are damaged it is much harder to save.

Return to “All Other Fruit”