rosiegirl
Cool Member

New cherry tree question!

Hi,

We planted a Blackgold Cherry about 3 weeks ago (it was potted). Two of the limbs look great but the rest have shriveled up leaves. Not sure if that's okay? There are a few photos below.

My questions are:

1. Watering. I've read a thousand different things. I'm in New York on Long Island. Can I just run a drip line to it or a hose at the base? How often would I do that?

2. Fertilizing. How much and when? The soil isn't great, kind of rocky and clayish but we have lots of trees that grow great. I also compost so I have good soil I can mix in if that's a good idea.

Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_7601.JPG
IMG_7602.JPG
IMG_7603.JPG

applestar
Mod

Re: New cherry tree question!

The method I always follow is to dig a shallow hole (no deeper than rootball*) that is twice the diameter of the rootball. Then fill with native soil — most recent instructions say to add nothing — I add maybe 1/4 to 1/3 home made compost or good organic soil conditioner with myco’s.

*I usually dig a little deeper and line the bottom of the hole with upside-down sod peeled up from where the hole was dug.

These two additions seed the hole area with earthworms — in the sod and compost.

After back filling, I make a mounded donut ring/dam — my subsoil is clay so I sometimes plant on a mound and leave a moat.

Fill to top of dam/moat with mulch, not allowing mulch to touch trunk.

The basic rule I have followed and this seems to work — water once a day (fill dam/moat, allow to soak in, fill again — move mulch aside and check) for 3 days, once every three days for a week, once a week for a month, then once a month as needed for the first season.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

JONA
Mod

The shrivelling of those leaves could be from a number of causes.
Over or under watering a young tree can affect it this way...the affected area will recover.

Canker .....check for any sign of a lesion just below the affected area.

Fungi related to Brown Rot can also produce this effect. Here Sprays of a Mildew protectant can give some help occasionally.
If there’s no sign of improvement in a few weeks...then I would remove the infected wood and grow on the sound branches.
John

rosiegirl
Cool Member

Thank you both so much! I will try to follow those watering guidelines...of course, since I wrote that post it has not stopped raining in New York!

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”