rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Peach tree problem

IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2732.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG
So I was weeding out around this tree and discovered this. It is an area right at the base of the tree, a few inches above ground level to just slightly below, that looks like the bark has been eaten away. There is gooey stuff at the bottom of it. The tree still seems solid behind the area.
The tree itself looks quite healthy-- 10 - 12 ft tall, in full bloom and now leafing out.
In case it is relevant, we have had an extremely wet winter and early spring. I think we have had 15 inches of rain already in March! The ground in that area does not puddle, but I'm sure it has been staying pretty soggy a lot of the time.
Thanks for any help in knowing what this is and what to do about it.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Any wound on a peach will cause Gummosis. Which is the sticky residue from weeping sap. This can be serious if the area is large.
If you can clear the site area and cut back the damaged bark to clean wood so that it can dry out it will help enormously.
Weeping in itself is not damaging...in fact on plum and cherry it can aid the tree in keeping out disease while healing takes place.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thank you. Do you have any idea what would have caused the wound in the first place? Since the tree is pretty big now, I don't think we ever get close enough to hit it with the weed eater. ..

JONA
Greener Thumb

If you’ve had no animal chewing going on Rainbow then it’s possible a Canker has set in. Soil born diseases can start such a lesion. Phytophthora Root and trunk rot start that way.
I believe it can be a problem amongst growers over your side of the pond. Trimming the dead bark away Is all you can do in the way of treatment.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Just had a look around Rainbow and it looks like this is very similar to Crown Rot on apple in its actions..though a different pathogen.
As such it can be a devil to control and treat.
I hope it’s not this but just a Canker that’s been caused by a wound,

Return to “All Other Fruit”