HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

rambutan

I saw some Rambutan fruit at the local grocery store yesterday for the first time. Interesting tropical fruit. Thinking about trying it for fun. Have any of you experienced this fruit?

applestar
Mod

I had never heard of rambutan.. now I can’t stop thinking about how to put together a children’s primer that might go something like ...

“An orangutan was eating
a rambutan and
an orange, and
rambling on
about getting a tan!” :kidding:

imafan26
Mod

rambutan is a little like eating lychee, only it has a fuzzy shell. You can cut or open the shell when ripe with your fingers. The fruit is fleshy white with seeds in the middle. The seeds are not edible raw. Some cling to the flesh, some don't. The flesh is usually sweet and juicy but some can be more astringent and dry.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have never heard of a lychee. I will have to look that up.
The sign says that the rambutans taste a bit like grapes. I think I will ask for a sample. They are expensive at $6.99 per pound. They are have long hairlike fronds on the outside. I will take a picture.
I didn't see any orangutans, just human-utans.

imafan26
Mod

I like lychee better than rambutan. It is sweeter. Lychee is sold in asian markets pitted and canned. It is a little mushier than the fresh fruit would be, but that is probably because of the heat processing to preserve them.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg051

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... g-tips.htm

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have never seen Lychee in the stores here. I looked it up and read that it has something in it that can trigger hypoglycemia. I want to look into that further when I have more time for researching stuff. I never knew before that hypoglycemia could be triggered by a fruit. It sounded like unripe fruit is the problem.
I have been so busy that I never made it back to the store to try the Rambutan. I think they must be sold out by now. I missed my chance.

imafan26
Mod

I did not know that about lychee. No one eats lychee when it is not ripe here. It would be green,sour, hard, and harder to peel. Ripe lychee is red and the skin is loose when you peel it. Sometimes the overripe ones will be cracked. Lychee is a premium fruit here, you have to compete with the birds and the thieves.

https://owlcation.com/stem/Lychees-and- ... ir-Effects

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I read that the hypoglycemia was associated with malnourished children occurred in India and Viet Nam. No such stories about lychee in Hawaii.

I have never seen lychee here but will watch for it. I like to try new fruits.

Return to “All Other Fruit”