JohnB

Fig Tree Spots

A number of the leaves on my fig tree, a Kodota Fig, have developed black spots. The tree is several years old, but has developed vey slowly. There is only one main branch and a couple of very small new branches. I live on New York City.

Does anyone know what this is and how I should treat it?

Thanks, John
FigLeaf.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It looks like anthrachnose.

Try not to wet the leaves when watering and make sure air circulation is good so it dries well. Remove the old leaves and discard them. Make sure you wash your and hands and clean or sterilize tools afterward. Pick up fallen debris. The disease is hard to control once it is established.

If the fig is in a pot, move it out gradually to full sun and make sure the pot is big enough so the fig has room to grow. Figs do respond well to fertilizer. Fertilize with a general purpose fertilizer when you see that the new leaves are coming out.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/anthracno ... 33119.html
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/anthracno ... 33119.html

applestar
Mod

Is this tree in the ground or in a container?

I didn’t know what they were, but I do see these kind of spots on some of my fig leaves as well, when the chill frost weather approaches. Both spotted and unblemished leaves turn yellow and fall off as they gear up for the wintery weather. (I have not taken care to removed spotted leaves.... maybe I should)

I don’t know how well Kadota figs survive the winter conditions. So far, Only winter hardy in-ground fig I am growing successfully is Chicago Hardy. My White Marseilles barely survived last winter, and I am going to see how it does this winter.

I have 2 Petit Nigra trees and a couple of rooted cuttings as well as one White Marseilles in containers that will be wintering in the unheated garage once they have gone dormant — still outside although we have had a few nights hovering in the low 30’s. Next 10 days are forecasted to be warmer, so they will stay out a while longer.

How have you been overwintering your fig in the past years? It’s probably time to make preparations.

Return to “All Other Fruit”