KaiGavin
Newly Registered

peach tree leaves turning yellow and falling off

So I planted a peach tree a few months ago (towards the end of summer). For a while now it's had the leaves turning yellow and falling off. The leaves closer to the center of the plant have fallen off first and it seems to be working outward. It starts as a general yellowing with some yellow specks. Then the tip or the outer edges of the leaf turn fully yellow. By the time the entire leaf is yellow, the tip is brown and it falls off the tree.
What's really weird is that at the same time that it's losing leaves, new shoots have been growing or getting longer and it's making flowers. (It's fall now) One branch has grown another foot. Granted it's Florida and plants tend to get confused about the seasons-- start making fruit, drop it when the first cold front hits, and start again in the spring.
I've posted some pictures. Maybe too many pictures? I wasn't sure which ones were the most helpful. Though the colors look brighter on here than they do IRL.
Attachments
IMGP9059.JPG
IMGP9062.JPG
IMGP9065.JPG
IMGP9066.JPG
IMGP9069.JPG
IMGP9070.JPG
IMGP9071.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well it is fall. Regardless of temperatures (it's still pretty warm where I am in No. GA too), the days are getting shorter and that is what triggers deciduous trees to turn colors and drop their leaves. My peach trees are almost totally yellow and have dropped a lot of leaves already.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Yes...even ours under glass are shedding leaf fast now.

KaiGavin
Newly Registered

So is this normal leaf drop? Cuz it's still 87* F here. It won't actually start getting cold for another month or two.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As I noted, leaf color turn and leaf drop is related to hours of daylight, not to temperature. Even in Florida, the days are getting shorter....

KaiGavin
Newly Registered

ok. thanks for your help.

Return to “All Other Fruit”