DavidKahn
Newly Registered

Need help identifying this citrus fruit

Hi, so I just came across this plant in the garden of the house I recently bought and it has fruit growing on it (not ripe yet). Being a couch potato I don't know which one it is. My initial guess was grape fruit but grape fruits are quiet large at this time of the year as I've seen in other plants. Will appreciate the help. Thanks
Attachments
fruit 2.jpg
fruit 1.jpg

applestar
Mod

Citruses can be sometimes differentiated by their leaf characteristics. I don’t see a good in-focus photo of a leaf here, and I actually don’t know how to tell them apart since in my area most citrus trees don’t survive the winter. I just know it CAN be done and some of the members here who live in Florida have said they can.

I used to have a link to another reference site and I have been trying to learn to identify what kind of seed-grown citruses I have ...so far, I just know the wingless petiole leaves belong to lemons, and limes have extra wide winged petioles — but I can’t find it right now, so have located another one. This website has other tools to help ID citruses, too.

If you figure it out, please let us know how you made the distinction. If you upload a good photo of the leaves, we could join you in trying to figure it out. (I’m really curious.) :wink:

BTW, another way I know to differentiate my citruses is by smell of the crushed leaves. Lemon leaves smell like lemons, grapefruit leaves smell like grapefruits.

Citrus ID: Morphology
https://idtools.org/id/citrus/citrusid/m ... e[]=leaves
Most leaves of cultivated citrus consist of a petiole that is variously winged or not and a single, terminal leaflet. Most leaflets are somewhat toothed at the margins, although the extent and sharpness may vary.

DavidKahn
Newly Registered

Sorry for disappearing I was simply too busy to reply. I did cut open the fruit today (sorry I forgot to take pictures) and I could instantly tell from its aroma that it was Citrus Limetta aka Mosambi. I also tasted it and though extremely unripe, its texture and taste confirmed my initial guess. Its leaves aren't THAT aromatic and I guess that's why I was having a difficulty identifying it in the beginning. Thanks for taking interest!!

Return to “All Other Fruit”