erins327

Can anyone ID this fig?

I bought this start about 3 years ago and it has blossomed into a beautiful fig bush. However the start at the nursery said it was a Brown Turkey Fig. However, I am doubting this now that the fruit is consistently staying greenish/yellow.

Here is a picture of the fruit. They never develop into a color different that yellow. When they turn yellow and sag on the branch and become soft, thats when I pick them. As sweet as can be, in fact I think they are sweeter than my neighbors brown turkey fig.

But all the online pictures of varieties show green figs with really dark centers. As you can see this one is more lighter brown inside.

Thanks for any insight!
Attachments
figs 2018.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Try...Honey Berry or Brooklyn White.

Difficult though as there are over 400 varieties of the beauties.

imafan26
Mod

Another one it might be is a white Kadota fig.

Brown Turkey has a purplish brown peel and the inside is usually darker. It is a very nice tree. I like Brown Turkey and Black Mission the best. Although, I did get a white Kadota that was sweet, the other white fig I ate was pulpy and even the birds left it alone.

applestar
Mod

Until recently, three fig varieties that were mostly sold by mail order catalogs were Brown Turkey, Celeste, and Italian or White Honey. LSU White is also a prevalent variety, as is White Marseille. Maybe one of the latter three?

erins327

I guess I'll never know what fig it is! Oh well, not losing much sleep because it is delicious and healthy. I bought the fig start at a local nursery in Austin TX, and I still even have the tag that says Brown Turkey. I guess somewhere there was a mix up. :)

Thanks for the guesses guys!

applestar
Mod

LOL!!! That’s right don’t question it if it tastes good. :wink:

FYI — Figs are easy to propagate (make more plants) — they root easily on short woody (not green) branches cut off and kept in moistened sandy potting mix. Or wrapped in moistened paper towel and kept moist in loosely sealed plastic bag.

I suppose if you really REALLY wanted to find out, sometimes you can send samples to university agriculture department or state/county extension of USDA.

Return to “All Other Fruit”