applestar
Mod

Once fruited pineapple - further adventures

Subject: Is this pineapple going to be big enough to bloom next year?
Tue Aug 29, 2017
applestar wrote:YAY! Here is my 4" pineapple :D

...I'll post again when we taste it :wink:
Fri Sep 01, 2017
applestar wrote:We ate the little pineapple for after dinner treat yesterday. OMG it was soooo sweet and delicious -- it didn't have the astringency of fresh pineapple that we associate with -- not the mouth-burning acid -- and more complex FLAVOR, sweet and tangy and what a real fresh pineapple should taste like. Image

As small as it was ...plus the fact that I trusted the outer surface completely (not something I would do with store-bought pineapple)... I simply pulled the top leaves off, barely cut the top and bottom off, then sliced into wedges for biting and scraping the flesh off the rind like you might with orange or melon. I sliced off the inner core from first wedges but when I offered the core pieces for DD to chew on like we do with store bought pineapples, she said it was not stringy/fibrous at all and while less sweet, completely edible, so I left the core on the rest. (That might have been just because it was such a small sized fruit.) And everybody scraped as much of the inner flesh as they could with their teeth. :wink:

I can't wait until another one produces. I have three other plants of various sizes outside as well as the plant that grew this fruit, looking all limp but maybe it will recover enough to grow the next generation pups/sideshoots for me to grow more with? And OF COURSE I planted the little top from the fruit we ate. :D
imafan26 wrote:The offsets from this plant should produce a bigger pineapple next time. Pineapples from crowns are usually smaller the first go around. When the offsets are large enough you can remove the parent. It will never bloom again. Feed it with something that has a lot of potassium.
...AAAANNNDDDD...

WE ARE READY FOR THE NEXT ADVENTURE!!! First offset has poked its little head up. Image

applestar
Mod

LOOK 👁LOOK 👁LOOK

I didn’t notice until TODAY, because I have this sitting on a spare stool/chair stand and I can’t look down into the cup of the Pineapple.

Obviously the inflorescence (is that the proper term?) has been growing for a while now and is starting to peek above the rim of the rosette cup. It’s in the Cool Gang section of the Winter Indoor Garden, but since it is up higher and not on the floor, enjoys the extra warmth maintained in the Family Room, as well the the filtered direct slanting winter sun from the window. I’ve been feeding it with diluted leftover and dregs of coffee (honey and rice milk), tea, milk, juice, rice washing liquid, veg steaming liquid, etc. etc. As well as the sediment water from what my DD calls the “poopy tower” into which the bottom of the guppy reservoirs is siphoned into the airlift pump in the Winter Paradise (pseudo-aquaculture) garden.
Pineapple 12/30/20
Pineapple 12/30/20

applestar
Mod

I forgot all about this thread!

Updating with interim reports :
applestar wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:33 pm
My little pineapple and kumquats :D

Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:29 pm
Pineapple update :()
038AE954-8A24-4952-AC34-24AFB8E59D38.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:38 pm
We had a special harvest today — I decided that the pineapple is READY. I thought it was ready a few days ago, but I wanted to wait until the rain and heat had passed.

It came off the stalk with an upward swist and SMELLS FABULOUSLY PINEAPPLE-Y :-()

…and I finally cut it up… tiny fruit really, but just enough for the three of us to share (hubby doesn’t like pineapple)

It was super sweet as if in syrup like canned pineapple… except it was our very own home grown. There was no astringency whatsoever, and fragrant and no stringy fiber. YUM YUM YUM!
Attachments
…there was a couple more pieces that somehow disappeared before the photo was taken
…there was a couple more pieces that somehow disappeared before the photo was taken

Return to “All Other Fruit”